While the Orange brand might make you think of colossal eye-catching stacks making a racket on stage, they're arguably just as well known for their more compact offerings. Pioneers of the lunchbox amp, they've made it part of their mission to cram all of that vitamin-C into smaller enclosures - say hello to the Crush Mini!
The Crush Mini is built on the popular formula of its predecessor, the Crush Micro. With several small tweaks this little amp has huge potential, both in terms of sound and practicality - its the ideal, portable practice amp with a healthy amount of attitude!
Orange have managed to keep it simple and intuitive while giving you plenty more to work with. While its now-discontinued counterpart offered a tone, volume and an overdrive switch, the Crush Mini boasts an articulate gain control, a 'shape' control to mould your sound more closely, and a volume knob. By simply adding an extra control and re-purposing the interface, they've given plenty more room for you to hone in on your sound!
Practical & Versatile
You also have a neat series of features that give the Mini a little more edge. First up, an 8ohm speaker output allows you to extend the sound to a cabinet - if you've started jamming with a drummer and need to make yourself heard, you now have the option!
The headphone output makes a return, ideal for practising at home or in quieter settings. Once connected, the headphone output will silence the speaker, so you can keep all of that tone to yourself and jam in silence.
They've also added a neat auxiliary-in plug, meaning you can connect your own external sound source and play along with ease! You also get an internal 9V battery, so you can play on the move without having to worry about a power source. You simply can't lose!
Here's what Orange have to say about the Crush Mini:
The Orange Crush Mini is redesigned to give you Orange tone in a small, lightweight amplifier. Whether warming up backstage, on the road practice or in your bedroom, the Crush Mini is always there to provide Orange tone.
The redesigned control panel gives you full tonal control with gain, shape and volume. Backing off the gain and pushing the volume will give you a crunch tone, while pushing the gain up will give you searing high gain tones. The shape control, like the Micro Dark, cuts or boosts the mids, giving fat mid through to scooped tones.
A new feature for the Crush Mini is the 8 Ohm speaker output, using the preamp stage of the amp you can plug into a speaker cabinet, opening up your amps capabilities.
The built-in tuner returns making sure on the road you are always in tune, the headphone output also cuts the speaker for silent practice, and the AUX IN means playing along to your favourite songs is a breeze.
- Versatile, simple controls - the Crush Mini uses three controls volume, shape and gain, to give you a wide range of tones, without the need to spend too much time dialing in. The gain can be backed off and the volume pushed up to gain crunch tones. Then the gain brought in more to add more high gain distortion, with the shape being used to fatten or scoop your sound.
- Headphone output - the headphone output, disengages the speaker output for silent practice.
- Speaker output - plugging a cabinet into the speaker output turns the Micro Crush into an amplifier for your cabinet.
- Aux-in - play along to your music with the Aux-In input, to give you a portable practice rig.
- Built-in tuner - simple, easy to read, built in tuner, makes the Crush Mini a great all in one amplifier.
- Controls, right to left: INPUT, GAIN, SHAPE, VOLUME, HEADPHONE JACK (BELOW) INTEGRATED CHROMATIC TUNER.
- Output power: 3 watts
- Power: Interal 9V Battery or 9V centre negative power supply (not included)
- Unboxed dimensions (W X H X D): 15 x 14.5 X 8.3CM (5.9 X 5.7 X 3.26")