Nate Mendel is best known for his work as the bassist in the Foo Fighters. Fender have collaborated with Nate to release a signature model based on his personal 1971 Precision Bass! With a special body contour, a slim C neck profile, a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup, a high-mass bridge, and a light Road Worn nitro finish, this isn’t your average P-Bass.
Body and Neck
The Nate Mendel P-Bass has an ash body with a unique contour on the back that’s deeper than you’d find on a standard P-Bass. P-Bass necks are known to be quite thick but the Nate Mendel version opts for a slimmer “C” that won’t fill the hand as much allowing you to play faster and move up and down the neck with more ease. The neck has a rosewood fingerboard for a smooth and natural feel and features a vintage-correct 7.25” radius.
The body and neck are finished in nitrocellulose lacquer that lets the wood breathe more and will age more gracefully than a polyurethane finish would. The bass has also been given a light Road Worn relic which has subtle marks and signs of age for a played-in look.
Electronics and Hardware
Nate Mendel has opted to put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Precision Bass pickup in his signature model. The Quarter Pound has that classic full, thick, and warm sound that you’d expect from a P-Bass pickup but with a higher output for a tone more suited to rock.
The Nate Mendel P-Bass also features a Fender HiMass bridge, 70s-style open-gear tuners, and comes with an extra neck plate that’s engraved with a hybrid of the Fender and Foo Fighters’ logos.
- Body Material: Ash
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Shape: Precision Bass®
- Middle Pickup: Seymour Duncan® Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pound Split Single-Coil Precision Bass®
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Switching: None
- Configuration: Split Single Coil
- Bridge: Fender HiMass™ with Chrome-Plated Zinc Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Fender® '70s Vintage-Style Stamped Open-Gear
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt "F" Stamped
- Strings: Fender® 7250M Nickel-Plated Steel Roundwound, Long Scale, .045-.105 (Model No. 0737250406)
- Other Features: Slim neck with smaller nut width, Seymour Duncan® Quarter Pound™ pickup, lightly Road Worn® lacquer finish, extra neck plate included with "Fender/Foos" logo.
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Shape: Slim "C" (Based on Mendel's '71 Precision Bass®)
- Scale Length: 34" (86.36 cm)
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Number of Frets: 20
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- Nut Material: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.615" (41.02 mm)
- Position Inlays: White Pearloid Dot
- Truss Rod: Vintage-Style Butt Adjust
- Case/Gig Bag: Gig Bag