There are many boost pedals out there, however the Walrus Audio Emissary is a far more practical and musical stompbox that can really enhance your tone.
Typically, most boost stompboxes add volume and gain to raise your amplifier's overall output. However, while volume can help your playing cut through in a mix, boosting particular frequencies is far more effective (pardon the pun!).
The Walrus Audio Emissary pedal follows an unusual 2-in-1 format. Running two separate boost circuits in parallel, these differently-voiced boosts can be manipulated via their dedicated 'bright' and 'mid' controls.
With the ability to be used independently, the JFET 'bright' boost has a clean, high-headroom character that can add plenty of top-end vibrancy to your signal if you're running into a dark-sounding amplifier.
The 'mid' circuit is very powerful, and can be used to target 1kHz or 800Hz via the toggle switch at the centre of the pedal. This area of the frequency spectrum is where guitars are generally at their most present, and boosting these particular frequencies will allow solos to pierce through effortlessly in a band mix.
But the unique aspect of this stompbox is its parallel design, letting you combine both boost circuits. Working in conjunction with one another will form a richer and more three-dimensional sound, and the Walrus Audio Emissary perfectly bridges the gap between a boost and an EQ pedal.
The Emissary pedal features top-mounted jacks, a trend that many pedal brands are adopting to allow players to easily set up their pedalboards. Another great modern appointment is the momentary footswitch, which lets you engage the effect by holding down on the footswitch. This means that if you want to quickly accentuate a lick in a song, just keep your foot on the switch and let go when you're done wowing your audience!
This amazing tone-transforming pedal is finished in a beautifully artistic design, in signature Walrus Audio style.
- Boost pedal with two independent circuits wired in parallel
- Make lead-sounds, slides or finger-picking stand out
- Push tube amps into natural breakup
- Specific voicing per circuit (“bright” / “mid”)
- Use one or the other boost-circuit by itself or dial-in any combination of the two
- Mix “Bright” and “Mid” to tailor boost-sound to playing-style (leads, slide, picking,…)
- Create boost-sounds fully tailored to playing-style (leads, slide, picking,…)
- “Bright” circuit: Clean, high-headroom JFET boost with emphasis on upper frequency-spectrum
- “Bright” boost e.g. breathes life into neck-pickups and helps bridge-pickups standout
- “Mid” circuit: targeted boost at either 1kHz or 800Hz
- “Mid” boost e.g. pushes leads forward in a mix or makes slide-guitars stand-out
- Toggle selects target-frequency for “Mid”: 1kHz or 800Hz
- Smart “Momentary” bypass activates effect temporarily via press & hold
- “Momentary” adds boost to specific phrase or even single notes
- True-Bypass Design
- Usage of isolated power supply is recommended
- No battery-option
- 9V DC; 100mA
- L x W x H (cm): 12.1 x 6.6 x 4.1
- Weight (kg): 0.32
- Handmade in the USA