Moog are known for being one of the most innovative electronic instrument manufacturers in the entire industry, and for good reason. Enter the Moog Subharmonicon: a semi-modular, polyrhythmic analog synth that continues the brands commitment to producing exciting, powerful and highly-creative products.
The Subharmonicon is inspired by the once cutting-edge analog music and instruments spawned during the '30s and '40s. These historic concepts were built on the foundations of not just music, but mathematics too. Leading minds including Leon Theremin and Joseph Schillinger developed a range of instruments that ultimately influence what you'll find here; it's a melding of modern design and vintage character!
Using a 6-tone sound engine paired with multi-layered sequencers, sonic exploration is encouraged. Use both to experiment with polyrhythms, subharmonics and the intriguing relationships that they lead to. You'll be able to craft organic sequences from the ground up that are constantly shifting and evolving as you play.
Simple to Operate
A selection of intuitive hands-on controls make the Subharmonicon a breeze to use. Yes, you'll be making complex patterns and sounds, but it's been made to be as accessible as possible. Packing in two VCOs, two four-step sequencers, four rhythm generators and four subharmonic oscillators, this compact, robust synth shouldn't be underestimated.
The aforementioned tools form the bedrock of the Subharmonicon's instantly iconic sound. Subharmonic tones are pulled mathematically from either of the two VCOs. The result? Chord shapes with a more well-rounded sound quality.
This has been paired with integrated quantization. You'll be able to deliver perfect intervals every single time. These are split into the brighter, clearer intervals of Just Intonation, and the more contemporary, Equal Temperament. Or if you prefer a more natural feel, you can go ahead without any quantization whatsoever!
Layers & Layers
To build even more versatile and varied patterns and polyrhythms, why not layer rhythm generators on top of one another? You can then apply enhanced dynamics and further complexity via the onboard Moog ladder filter, analog VCA and dual envelope generators.
The 32-point, 3.5mm built-in patchbay provides a whole host of additional tonal possibilities. Either patch into itself (unlocking the full potential of the instrument), or interface with external Eurorack compatible equipment like the DFAM or Mother-32.
Depending on your preferences, you can use the synth either standalone, or as part of any Eurorack system. This is done by removing the front panel, allowing for easy installation.
- Remove the front panel and easily install into a Eurorack system, or simply use the synth standalone.
- The modular patchbay delivers even more creative options, however, no patching is required whatsoever if you want to get experimenting right away!
- Multi-layered sequencers paired with a 6-tone sound engine provide the tools for extensive polyrhythm and subharmonic exploration.
- Harness integrated quantization to construct perfect intervals every single time.
- Layer individual rhythm generators to project intriguing, complex polyrhythms.
- Utilise dual envelope generators, analog VCA and the Moog ladder filter to add exciting dynamics to your sound.
- Weight: 1.58kg
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 4.2 x 12.57 x 5.24 Inches
- Power Consumption: 4.8 Watts
Power Supply (Included)
- Output: +12VDC; 1200mA
- Input: 100-240VAC; 50Hz-60Hz
- Style: Wall Adapter, Barrel Connection, Centre-Pin Positive
Analog Sound Engine
- Sources: VCO 1, SUB 1, SUB 2/VCO 2, SUB 1, SUB 2
- Filter: Self-Oscillating Ladder Filter, Low-Pass, 4-Pole (-24dB/Octave)
- Envelopes: VCA EG (Attack, Decay); VCF EG (Attack, Decay)
Analog Sequencers (x2)
- Clock: Driven Via Any/All of the Rhythm Generators
- Steps: 4 Steps Available Per Sequencer (Selectable Quantization)
Rhythm Generators (x4)
- Clock: 20 BPM - 3000 BPM (1 Pulse Per Quarter-Note), MIDI Clock, EXT Clock
- Rhythm: Derived by Dividing Tempo by Integer Value (1-16)
- MIDI: 3.5mm MIDI Input (Includes Type A Dongle)
- Outputs: 15 Output Jacks
- Inputs: 17 Input Jacks
- Jacks: 32 x 3.5mm
- Security: Kensington Lock Slot
- Power: Power Supply Connection
- Audio 1/4-Inch TRS Headphone or 1/4-inch TS Instrument