Designed and crafted in sunny California, Mesa Boogie's Throttle Box EQ is a versatile distortion pedal that features a flexible 5-band EQ section - deriving from those found on Boogie's best amplifiers! Perfect for rockers who seek an aggressive sound with lots of cut, the Mesa Boogie Throttle Box EQ still retains the warmth and organic sonics you'd expect from one of the brand's premium valve amplifiers.
What makes the Mesa Boogie Throttle Box EQ excel is its combination of a classic 5-band graphic EQ section with footswitchable 'HI/LO' gain modes. Create epic, scooped metal tones with the signature "V" curve setting, or use the tactile sliders to form a powerful full-bodied sound with lots of definition and punch.
However, the Throttle Box EQ goes one step further with its 'Mid Cut' control that gives you even more tone-shaping potential. A 'Tone' control also provides you with even more authority over the EQ, enabling control of the Throttle Box's treble frequencies. Essentially, whatever the high-gain sound in your head is - the Throttle Box EQ will serve it up!
Versatile Gain Structure
Mesa Boogie amps are synonymous with hard rock and metal acts, so it's therefore no surprise that the their Throttle Box EQ pedal's main strengths lie in higher-gain sounds. However, if you dial back its 'Gain' control then you can attain sweet overdrive tones that are apt for classic rock and even blues genres - making it very versatile.
HI/LO Performance Modes
HI/LO performance modes enhance the flexibility of the Throttle Box EQ even further. The LO gain mode offers a crunchy edge-of-breakup sound, while the HI setting dishes out a hot high-gain tone. Switch between both circuits with the dedicated footswitch - HI mode is perfect for solos!
Easy to Configure
The Graphic EQ can be applied to both HI and LO gain modes, which enables you to have a global EQ curve or have the ability to apply it to either gain mode separately - to have two “preset” sounds with different EQ shapes and gain signatures to switch between. You can also determine the levels of each mode separately, allowing you to set one mode louder or just achieve the perfect balance.
An accessible top panel 'Boost' switch delivers extra girth and a bit of gain enhancement. Great for tightening up a rhythm tone or adding definition to leads - this extra function makes the Mesa Boogie Throttle Box EQ one of the most comprehensive distortion pedals on the market!
- Designed and Handcrafted in Petaluma, California, USA
- True Bypass On/Off Footswitch bypasses all circuitry when off to ensure no tonal loss
- HI/LO Footswitch provides instant access between HI & LO (Gain) Modes for greater musical versatility
- Gain Control allows you to dial in the perfect amount of classic to modern high-gain
- Tone Control balances the amount of high frequencies
- Mid-Cut Control provides powerful mid-scoop for modern high-gain styles
- Boost Switch provides an enhanced EQ-voicing with more and lower bottom end, sweet tailored mids and crisp, shimmering highs
- 5-Band Graphic EQ with LED Indicators provide Auto-Assignability to either Mode (HI or LO) via Independent On/Off Switches and Mesa’s legendary tone-shaping power with +/- 12dB of boost or cut at 80Hz, 240Hz, 750Hz, 2.2Khz and 6.6Khz
- Independent HI & LO Mode Master Level Controls provide exceptional performance versatility and a variable range of signal boost up to +20dB for each Mode
- On/Off Status LED with Dual Color LED’s to indicate the active Mode (LO = Yellow / HI = Red)
- 9V Battery Powered or Externally Powered (optional) via External Power Supply Input Jack
- Input & Output Jacks (Nominal Input -20dB)
- Dimensions (W/D/H): 5.78" x 4.76" x 2.30" (146.8mm x 121mm x 58.4mm)
- Weight: 1.7 lbs. (817g) with (one) battery, 1.6 lbs. (726g) without battery
- True Bypass Switching
- Battery Type: 9VDC (One or Two – Two for extended battery-powered use)
- Power Consumption (Current Draw): 9VDC/45mA
- External Power Supply (Not Included): To avoid immediate damage and voiding the warranty, the External Power Supply must be 9VDC with a negative center plug polarity and a jack plug size of 2.1mm x 5.5mm.
- Input Impedance: 1M Ohm (500k Ohm minimum)
- Output Impedance: 10k Ohm