The SG has been the choice of rock ‘n’ roll legends for decades. The SG Special goes against the grain of the more familiar dual-humbucker SG Standard, but is just as much of a sought-after classic.
The Gibson Custom Shop faithfully recreated one of their finest specimens from the vault; the ’63 SG Special. Authentic down to the hide glue long-tenon neck joint, this is your chance to own a piece of lovingly-crafted guitar history.
Body & Neck
The ’63 SG Special is constructed using Gibson’s signature tonewood combinations. With a Mahogany body, you can expect focused lows and a rich mid-range sustain, despite the SG's thin design. The VOS nitrocellulose lacquer finish is the final touch – that iconic Cherry Red.
Paired with a long-tenon joined Mahogany neck, this long-established type of construction gives the SG Special fantastic sustain and warmth. Adorned with a beautiful Indian Rosewood fingerboard, the neck also boasts a carefully-calculated ’63 medium C profile - just the right amount of grip that’ll keep both traditionalists and contemporary players happy.
Electronics & Hardware
While the SG is typically associated with humbuckers, the ‘63 Special is loaded with a double-dose of Custom Soapbar P-90s. This raw, untamed sound helped define so many blues and rock ‘n’ roll artists from the ‘50s onwards – demonstrating a biting tone that’s simultaneously sensitive to the touch.
The nickel hardware used across the board perfectly matches this subtly-aged aesthetic. Key hardware appointments include Kluson Single Line tuners, black top hat controls and the Lightning Bar wraparound bridge, offering pristine accuracy without compromising expression.
- Body Shape: SG
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Binding: Fingerboard 1-Ply Cream
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer VOS (Vintage Patina)
- Material: 1 Piece Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '63 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Pearloid Dot
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Tailpiece: Lightning Bar Wraparound
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Single Line with White Buttons
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Neck Pickup: Custom Soapbar P-90
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Soapbar P-90
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: Switchcraft