Book a video appointment
Buying a premium guitar at the moment is a tricky experience. However, fear not! Our new Guitar Gallery specialists (Paul, and Paul), are on-hand to help talk you through your purchase, make recommendations and give you the confidence to make the right decision.
With over 30 combined years of boutique and rare guitar sales between them, the Pauls really know their stuff and can help you choose, or track down that special piece you’re looking for.
Click here to book your video appointment now.
The SG has been the choice of rock ‘n’ roll legends for decades. The SG Special goes against the grain of the more familiar dual-humbucker SG Standard, but is just as much of a sought-after classic.
The Gibson Custom Shop faithfully recreated one of their finest specimens from the vault; the ’63 SG Special. Authentic down to the hide glue long-tenon neck joint, this is your chance to own a piece of lovingly-crafted guitar history.
Body & Neck
The ’63 SG Special is constructed using Gibson’s signature tonewood combinations. With a Mahogany body, you can expect focused lows and a rich mid-range sustain, despite the SG's thin design. The VOS nitrocellulose lacquer finish is the final touch – that iconic Cherry Red.
Paired with a long-tenon joined Mahogany neck, this long-established type of construction gives the SG Special fantastic sustain and warmth. Adorned with a beautiful Indian Rosewood fingerboard, the neck also boasts a carefully-calculated ’63 medium C profile - just the right amount of grip that’ll keep both traditionalists and contemporary players happy.
Electronics & Hardware
While the SG is typically associated with humbuckers, the ‘63 Special is loaded with a double-dose of Custom Soapbar P-90s. This raw, untamed sound helped define so many blues and rock ‘n’ roll artists from the ‘50s onwards – demonstrating a biting tone that’s simultaneously sensitive to the touch.
The nickel hardware used across the board perfectly matches this subtly-aged aesthetic. Key hardware appointments include Kluson Single Line tuners, black top hat controls and the Lightning Bar wraparound bridge, offering pristine accuracy without compromising expression.
- Body Shape: SG
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Binding: Fingerboard 1-Ply Cream
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer VOS (Vintage Patina)
- Material: 1 Piece Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '63 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Pearloid Dot
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Tailpiece: Lightning Bar Wraparound
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Single Line with White Buttons
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Neck Pickup: Custom Soapbar P-90
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Soapbar P-90
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: Switchcraft