The Ego Compressor from Wampler is somewhat unique in its application of compression, allowing to to effect the tail rather than the attack of the note so that you don't lose your attack but you do gain great sustain. They do this by introducing a 'blend' control to dial in a sound that combines both the dry and effected signal. This is a trick that has been used in studios for decades but until now has been hard to achieve in pedal form. Now thanks to Wampler and the Ego Compressor you can have huge sustain without sacrificing your attack! In every other respect the Ego Compressor works exactly as you would expect a pedal compressor to work, infact with the blend at 100% you can still have that choppy squashed attack compressor sound, or with the blend at 100% you can use the compressor as a clean boost.
Here's what Wampler say about the Ego Compressor
Like many guitarists, Brian has alway been looking for a compressor that was transparent while still giving the sound a very pleasant thickening quality. He had used many compressor in the past and they always seemed to alter the tone in a way that sounded as if the squeezing and compressing was 'fake' - like it had a cheapening affect on the sound.
The Ego Compressor is our answer to this...
It gives you a clear articulate sound thanks to the “clean blend” knob which blends in your original clean signal yet still thickens your tone up better than anything else available in pedal form. It also will add a ton of sustain to your notes - all without excess noise. The “tone” control adds in clarity and punchiness - while cutting through the mix! It won't screw your core tone up either like other compressors with tone controls.
- High grade film capacitors and resistors picked for their superior sound and response
- Completely true bypass
- Battery connection and 9v power jack (barrel plug like Boss)
- Five controls - volume, sustain, attack, tone and blend
- NOT a clone or copy of any other product on the market
- Blend control allows you to get sustain only - no noticeable effect on the attack of the note (great for playing with distortion)
- size: 2.5" x 4.5"
- Tone control adds in high frequencies giving you plenty of clarity and 'jangle'
- Powder coated durable finish