The EVH 5150 is commonly considered to be one of the greatest rock and metal amps ever made. It has gone through many iterations through the years but the 5150 III is the best version yet. This particular version is the 5150 III 100S Special Edition which is based off of the exact amplifier Eddie Van Halen recently toured with including modifications. Thing of it as an EVH 5150 3.5.
Three Channels Of Dreamy High Gain
This 100w amplifier is well known the world over as being incredibly controllable and its ability to deliver everything from glassy cleans to crushing metal overdrives all in a single amp. This special edition doesn't take anything away from the classic three channel (clean, crunch, lead) layout but instead looks to tweak each one to sound better on stage with a full band behind you.
Each channel has the same controls with volume, gain, presence, low, mid and high all accessible from the front panel with resonance controls also available for each channel round the back of the amp. The main changes you will notice compared to the regular 5150 III is that the crunch channel and lead channel both have increased gain for greater sustain and a few voice changes. For example the low midrange in channel 2 is now more defined to help you keep your sound crisp and clear instead of sounding a bit mushy. Finally channel three has had its low control replaced with one that has a wider range so for those who like a lot of bass and those who want to cut through with a sharp sound can both get the sound they want out of this amplifier.
The EVH Quality
These EVH amplifiers are built like tanks. They will last for years on the road and in any studio without any issues. Just make sure to keep the eight JJ ECC83 preamp tubes and four Wing CC 6L6 power amp tubes so you get the best sound night after night.
Easy Access Bias
Normally when you need to change the valves in your amplifier unless you are very lucky it requires a trip to your amp tech. Normally they need to bias the tubes to make sure they are running optimally as no valves are creates equal. That is not the case with this amp as you have easy access bias controls on the back of the amplifier which let you set the valves as hot or as cool as you want them. Finding the optimal setting for tone and valve life is essential for any pro rig so having this control at your fingertips is very handy.
- Series: 5150III
- Amplifier Type: Tube
- Height: Amplifier: 12.5"
- Width: Amplifier: 22"
- Depth: Amplifier: 26"
- Weight: Amplifier: 58 lbs.
- Speakers: Celestion EVH G-12 (4)
- Output Impedance: Switchable (4, 8, 16 ohms)
- Power Output: 100 watts RMS
- Speaker Jacks: Two
- Preamp Tubes: JJ ECC83 (8)
- Power Tubes: Wing C 6L6 (4)
- Inputs: One 1/4"
- Channels: Three (Clean, Crunch, Lead)
- Control Knobs: Gain, Low, Mid, High, Volume, Presence, Resonance
- Casters: Included
- Line Out: FX Loop, Direct Out
- Cabinet Material: Birch
- Handle: Cabinet: Recessed Metal, Amplifier: Molded Plastic Handle
- Knobs: Vintage-Style "Chicken-Head" Knobs
- Amp Jewel: Red
- Footswitch: 7-Pin, 4-Button (CH1, CH2, CH3, FX Loop)
- Cover: Optional
- Other Features: Adjustable bias control, dual speaker jacks on amp rear panel, resonance control for each channel on amp rear panel, increased gain on channel two for more sustain, re-voiced channel two for improved low-mid frequency definition, increased gain on channel three for greater sustain, improved range of "low" control for channel three, special Stealth aesthetic.