V4.14 Firmware designed with Aphex Twin!
For the latest Bass Station update, Novation teamed up with Aphex Twin to bring you a wild selection of new features, including:
- AFX mode - assign parameters on a key-by-key basis
- Extended sub-oscillator control
- Variable glide time for oscillators 1 & 2
To celebrate 25 years of Bass Station, Novation have released the v2.5 firmware update. This adds some of the most requested features such as filter tracking, paraphonic mode, microtuning and new preset soundpacks. Install easily via the Novation Components content manager.
Paraphonic mode & Filter tracking
Bass Station II is now a paraphonic monosynth, because the pitches of each of the two oscillators can be controlled separately in its single-voice architecture. Two notes can be played at a time rather than just one, and users can get interesting interactions through the Ring and Filter Mod.
Filter tracking was one of the most requested features. The filter includes variable keyboard tracking in Bass Station II v2.5 – the best for matching higher notes to increased brightness.
Envelope retriggering & Oscillator error
Bass Station II's secret sound-design weapon is envelope retriggering. It’s now possible to configure envelopes to retrigger once the decay stage has ended, opening up a whole range of new possibilities.
Oscillator error introduces a small and adjustable random detune on each note-on event. This can be used to generate some very beautiful, subtle (or not) musical dissonance, very much in the same way that vintage synths do (because of the looser tolerance of their electronic components). Paraphonic mode makes it as dramatic as possible.
Microtuning editing & New presets
The frequency triggered by each key press can be completely controlled, giving scales another dimension.
Two new Soundpacks are in Components: Silver and Sinevibes. Silver's presets explore the v2.5 features and inspire new tracks and sound design. Sinevibes, designed by Sinevibes’ founder Artemij Pavlov, gives 101 classic Bass Station II presets.
With the Bass Station II you get Ableton Live Lite, the lightweight version of one of the most popular digital audio workstations around to get started making music. And with Loopmasters you get access to a 4GB library of royalty-free samples to inspire or use in your music. You also get access to the Novation Sound Collective which provides Novation users with new sounds to explore every few months.
You also get Melodics, a handy desktop app that's a fun and intuitive way to learn how to play MIDI keyboards, pad controllers, and drums. Melodics provides you with challenges, structured learning, and goals to make learning less intimidating and more exciting.
Here's what Novation say about the Bass Station II:
Bass Station II is an analogue mono synth based on the classic original BassStation but re-worked for the 21st century. It has two filters, two oscillators plus a third sub oscillator, patch save and a fully analogue effects section. Add a step sequencer, arpeggiator, full sized keys and a powerful modulation section and you have the makings of an analogue synth that is built for bass, but capable of so much more.
- Analogue synthesizer: brand new version of the classic BassStation
- Two distinct analogue filters: A brand new ‘Acid’ filter joins the ‘Classic’ original BassStation filter
- Bass Station II ships with 64 factory patches and a further 64 user slots. Patch dump enables you to archive and swap sounds
- Pattern-based Step Sequencer and Arpeggiator
- Analogue synth layout includes dedicated controls for all major parameters
- Two Oscillators plus an additional Sub Oscillator
- Analogue effects section: Bass Station II includes fully analogue distortion and filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive to add an aggressive, crunchy sound-quality
- Flexible modulation featuring 2 Envelopes and 2 LFOs
- MIDI I/O and USB connectivity
- Players 'synth-action' keyboard with aftertouch
- 25 Velocity sensitive keys with assignable aftertouch
- Two analog filters (Acid and Classic)
- Two oscillators + additional sub oscillator
- Flexible modulation with 2 envelopes and 2 LFOs
- 64 Presets + 64 user memories
- Patch Dump function
- Pattern-based step sequencer
- Analogue effects section
- 6.3 mm Jack line output Mono
- 6.3 mm Jack line input Mono
- Stereo headphone output 6.3 mm jack
- Sustain pedal connector
- MIDI in/out
- USB port
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 45.5 x 27 x 8.3 cm
- Power supply via USB or power adapter