The MPD218 is the most compact model in a set of high-performance midi controllers that bring a playful and creative workflow to creating music using virtual instruments and plugins.
Everyone loved the original MPD Series, so why not make it even better?
Now in it's second generation, this new set of controllers build on the popular MPD series design with the wisdom of 6 years of customer research and feedback from the initial launch.
The result is a lineup that's been redesigned from the ground up; controller designs that are even better to play, have all the best functions that you really want, and feature the latest technology so that it can connect with all your devices.
Thick Ultra-Sensitive Pads
The MPD218 features 16 fat and highly sensitive MPC pads with velocity and aftertouch. This new MPC pad design feels great to play, and lets you perform with an even more expressive touch than ever before.
What's more, each pad is backlit using LED's, giving you visual information on your musical setup and what you have programmed.
Expanded Control Set
The MPD218 now has a control set of 6 knobs in 3 banks, so that you have much more control over effects without having to resort to using the mouse on your computer which could distract your creative mindset.
Simple Connection to your Devices
All MPD2 controllers feature a plug-and-play interface for use on both Mac and PC, so you can simply plug-in using an available USB port and the computer automatically sets you up, ready to go.
The USB connection to your computer also powers the unit so you don't have to worry about plugging the MPD2 controller into any external power supply.
The New MPD controllers are also now compatible with Apple mobile devices.
For this, you will need the Camera connection kit (sold separately) that converts the USB connection into an iOS connection so that you can plug into your iPhone or iPad and create music on the go.
The MPD2 series also comes with a range of free software included. Titles include: Akai Pro MPC Essentials, Akai Pro MPC Beats, Big Bang Drums and Big Bang Cinema from Sonivox, Ableton Live Lite, and Software Preset Editor.
Akai Professional MPC Beats
Akai Professional are now offering that classic MPC beat-making workflow in a software format. Introducing MPC Beats! With both Simple and Advanced modes, MPC Beats has features to satisfy both beginner and experienced beat producers. The accessible interface, streamlined Simple mode, and the included templates make MPC Beats a great starting point for those looking to get into making beats. More experienced users will enjoy the over 80 audio FX plugins for warping, manipulating, and transforming audio, as well as the VST/AU compatibility for using third-party virtual instruments and audio plugins. You also get two stereo tracks for recording instruments or vocals.
MPC Beats comes free with this controller but is also free to download and use with any class-compliant USB MIDI controller regardless of brand. You can also expand the sample library in MPC Beats by purchasing expansion packs from premier sound designers.
- 16 Thick Fat backlit MPC Pads with Velocity and Aftertouch
- 48 assignable pads accessible via 3 banks
- 18 assignable 360-degree potentiometers accessible via 3 banks
- MPC Note Repeat and Full Level
- iOS compatible using the Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
- 16 configurable presets
- Includes Ableton Live Lite, Akai Pro MPC Essentials, Sonivox Big Bang Cinematic Percussion and Big Bang Universal Drums
- USB powered, no AC adapter required
- Macintosh: 1.25 GHz G4/G5 or faster (Intel Mac recommended), 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended), Mac OS X 10.4.11 (10.5 or later recommended)
- PC: 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 Celeron-compatible CPU or faster (multicore CPU recommended); 1 GB RAM (2GB recommended); Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP; Windows-compatible sound card (ASIO driver support recommended); QuickTime recommended
- Available USB port