The Boogie Mark V was probably one of the most hotly anticipated new amps of the decade. The Mark IV had a reputation for having the most tonal variety of any small amp, and the tone/volume that came out of the small 1x12 combo was just legendary.
An army of session players are still using the Mark IV. The most common criticism of the Mark IV was the complexity of the front panel. With every knob (and there were lots of them) doing something drastic to the tone, it was almost as easy to dial up a bad sound as it was to get a good one!
The Boogie Mark V design simplified all this and the Boogie Mark V has enjoyed massive success as a result. Now all those great Mesa Tones are at your fingertips and it's still just as versatile as ever.
Here's what Mesa Boogie say about the Mark V:
The MARK V is really a collection of amplifiers. There are far too many circuits and sounds to think of it as merely an amp.
It is also a living history of our company. From the groundbreaking MARK I that introduced the world to high-gain with it's cascading pre amp, to the Mark II - the world's first high gain Dual Mode Channel Switching amplifier and it's later siblings that introduced Simul-Class power.
From the MARK III that ushered in the era of 3 Channel footswtching performance, to the MARK IV which gave all this power individual control, the MARK V is the embodiment of the last 40 years of guitar amp history.
Simul-Class Power Amp featuring Multi-Watt and Duo-Class technologies which provide three power and three operating class options that are channel assignable via 10/45/90 Watt Power Switches: Choose 2 power tubes operating in pure vintage Class A (single-ended), producing 10 Watts - 2 tubes running in time-honored Class A/B producing 45 Watts or 4 tubes running in Mesa's legendary, patented Simul-Class Power that blends the best of Class A and Class A/B simultaneously to produce 90 Watts of pure tonal magic / 4x6L6 (or 4xEL-34), 7x12AX7, 1x5U4
- Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL34)
- Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
- Full Power/Variac Power Switch (Patent 5,091,700)
- 3 Fully Independent Channels with 9 Modes (Channel 1 = Clean, Fat or Tweed, Channel 2 = Edge, Crunch or Mark I, Channel 3 = Mark IIC+, Mark IV or Extreme)
- Normal/Bold Switch on Channel 1, Normal/Thick Switch on Channel 2 (Mark I mode only), Normal/Bright Switch & Pentode/Triode Switch on Channel 3
- Each Channel features: Independent Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Master, Footswitchable or Auto-Assignable Contour Depth Control, Footswitchable All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb Control, Rectifier Tracking (Auto-selects Tube for all 10 Watt Modes, Diode for all 90 Watt Modes, selectable Tube or Diode for 45 Watt Modes on Channels 1 and 2,
Diode for 45 Watt Mode on Channel 3
- 5 Band Graphic EQ is Footswitchable, Channel Assignable and Selectable between 1 group of 5-Band Sliders or 3 channel specific, variable depth Contour Controls
- Footswitchable, Channel Assignable or True Bypassable All-Tube FX Loop with Send Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)
- Footswitchable Solo Level Control, Patent 6,724,897 (over all channels when activated)
- True Hard Bypass Switch removes FX Loops, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path
- Tuner Output w/Footswitchable Mute
- Slave Out w/Level Control
- Fan Cooled with On/Off Switch
- External Switching Jacks for Channels 2, 3 (channel 1 is default), EQ & Solo
- Aluminum Chassis
- New 4x4 8 Button Footswitch (Bottom Row: Channel 1, Channel 2, Channel 3, Solo - Top Row: Reverb, FX Loop, EQ & Tuner Mute)
- Slip Cover