The Fender American Original Butterscotch Tele captures the spirit of one of the most iconic instruments ever. Keith Richards has been seen playing one for over 50 years!
The Pure Vintage '52 single-coil pickups are period correct and the thick U-shaped neck feels like a proper Tele from the 50s. The 9.5" fretboard radius is modern and works beautifully with the vintage frets to make a playable guitar that still has plenty of vintage mojo.
The American Original Range
The American Original range focus on decades rather specific years - which could get quite confusing at times.
These guitars have also got a Modern fretboard radius and modern switching. This is helpful because though the old switching systems were period-correct, they weren’t always the most useful to have on-board.
One of the best things about the American Original guitars is their Nitro-Cellulose finish which is done to ensure that these instruments resonate like the Fender guitars of old. The Nitro finish is thinner than a modern gloss finish and this allows the wood to breathe and resonate.
The nitro finish will also mean the guitar will age beautifully. So your instrument will grow old with you and simply sound better with age as the wood and finish settles.
Here's what Fender say about the American Original 50s Telecaster
The ultimate blue-collar guitar, the Telecaster launched a musical revolution when we released it. Quickly adopted by working guitarists who were enamored with its trend-setting sound, feel and unique style, the Telecaster laid the foundation for modern country, blues and even heavy metal (in Jimmy Page's hands).
The American Original '50s Telecaster has all of the authentic Fender touches that made the Telecaster a star of the studio and stage, adding modern feel and pickup switching to this classic guitar.
The Pure Vintage '52 single-coil Telecaster pickups are as period-correct as possible, from the enamel-coated coil wire to the cloth-covered output wires, fiber bobbins and alnico 3 magnets. We even made sure the steel base plates are copper-plated, while the pickups' pole pieces are flush-mounted like the originals.
The thick ""U""-shaped neck profile gracefully fills the fret hand, while the 9.5""-radius fingerboard will feel familiar to any player. Other authentic touches include vintage-tall frets, original-era body radii, vintage-style hardware-including three brass barrel saddles-vintage-style hardshell case and a lacquer finish that not only lets the wood ""breathe"" naturally with resonant tone, it also wears in a distinctively appealing way.
The American Original '50s Telecaster is the best way to experience the performance, style and tone that made Fender the foundation of modern music.
- Ash body with lacquer finish
- Two Pure Vintage ‘52 single-coil Telecaster pickups
- Thick ""U”-shaped neck profile; 9.5”-radius fingerboard
- Vintage-style hardware; Telecaster bridge with three brass barrel saddles
- Includes vintage-style hardshell case
- Series: American Original
- Body Material: Ash
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Maple, 1952 “U”
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5” (241 mm)
- Frets: 21, Vintage Tall
- Position Inlays: Black Dots
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Single Line “Fender Deluxe”
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Bridge: 3-Saddle Vintage-Style Strings-Through-Body Tele with Brass
- Barrel Saddles
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black Phenolic
- Pickups: Pure Vintage ‘52 Single-Coil Tele (Bridge/Neck)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and
- Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Control Knobs: Knurled Dome
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Strings: Fender® USA 250R NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Vintage-Style Hardshell