The Dinky is a design often associated with Jackson Guitars, but Charvel has borrowed from its sister brand to offer a number of '80s-inspired Pro-Mod DK24 models. These hot-rodded instruments boast plenty of high-spec features, ensuring optimal playability and, of course - incredible tones!
Loaded with a set of super-hot Seymour Duncan humbuckers, the Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 also features a Gotoh Custom 510 tremolo, a graphite-reinforced neck and a compound radius fingerboard for ultimate playing comfort. In terms of hardware appointments and construction - this guitar punches far above what its modest price-point suggests.
Alder is a classic tonewood commonly used in the construction of Strat-style guitars; a tradition that Charvel has largely continued to adhere to. With very balanced tonal qualities, Alder ensures a strong mid-range that lends itself particularly well to high-gain; producing a focused tone that can punch through effortlessly in frantic mixes.
Paired with a Maple neck, this bright-sounding wood will help to deliver some lively top-end definition, and the bolt-on construction provides a snappy response with plenty of projection and clarity. With a caramelised finish, this wood treatment guarantees amazing rigidity as moisture is removed from the Maple to make it less susceptible to warping in different climates. Also reinforced with Graphite, this neck will be rock-solid and reliable, ensuring remarkable tuning stability.
A compound radius fingerboard is an excellent, high-end feature of this instrument. Rounded at the lower end of the neck to make chords easier to play, the fretboard flattens out in the higher register to make shredding a total breeze. This also helps to prevent notes from fretting out when performing string bends, making it a very ergonomic design. The caramelised fingerboard is also embellished with elegant Pearloid dot inlays, with "Luminlay" side dots that glow in the dark when the stage lights are off!
This stunning instrument is powered by a set of high-output Seymour Duncan humbuckers. The Full Shred SH-10B in the bridge position will deliver searing highs, allowing solos and riffs to pierce through in heavy band situations thanks to its tight and focused sound. In the neck, the Alnico II Pro pickup is far less "in-your-face", with an authentically warm tone that sounds smooth and characterful both clean and overdriven.
With a five-way switch, you can get a great amount of pickup combinations - giving you a lot of tonal variety. Positions 2 and 4 allow you to attain S-style single-coil tones, as they select the inner coils of the bridge and neck pickups respectively; offering pristine angelic tones with clean settings.
You can control the guitar's total output via the single volume control, which features a low friction design to ensure a smooth action for ambient volume swells. The tone control is equally thoughtful, employing a "No-Load" design that bypasses the entire tone circuit when at 10 - giving a purer and more present signal to your amplifier.
The DK24's Gotoh Custom 510 tremolo is a fantastic low-maintenance alternative to a Floyd Rose. With a recessed design, you can divebomb and flutter to your heart's content, with the self-lubricating Graph Tech nut keeping your tuning super-solid by preventing the strings from sticking.
A set of Charvel-branded locking tuners also allows for effortless string changes, while decreasing the chance of tuning slips as less wraps around the tuning posts are required. With the sheer amount of considerate hardware appointments, it's evident that the Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 Dinky HH is a professional-grade instrument.
- Series: Pro-Mod
- Body Shape: Dinky™
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss
- Neck Material: Caramelized Maple
- Neck Construction: Bolt-On with Graphite Reinforcement
- Neck Finish: Hand-Rubbed Urethane
- Fingerboard: Caramelized Maple, 12”-16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Frets: 24, Jumbo
- Position Inlays: 4mm Pearloid Dot
- Nut (Material/Width): Graph Tech® TUSQ® XL, 1.6875” (42.86 mm)
- Headstock: Licensed Fender® Stratocaster®
- Tuning Machines: Charvel®-Branded Die-Cast Locking
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Truss Rod: Heel-Mount Truss Rod Adjustment Wheel
- Bridge: Gotoh® Custom 510 Tremolo
- Pickups: Seymour Duncan® Custom Full Shred™ SH-10B (Bridge), Seymour Duncan® Alnico II Pro APH-1N (Neck)
- Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade & 2-Way Mini Toggle: (Pos 1: Bridge Pickup, Pos 2: Both Outer Coils, Pos 3: Bridge & Neck Pickup, Pos 4: Both Inside Coils, Pos 5: Neck Pickup; 2-Way Mini Toggle Down/All Series; 2-Way Mini Toggle Up/All Parallel
- Controls: Volume (with 500K EVH® Bourns® Low-Friction Potentiometer), No-Load Tone
- Control Knobs: Strat®-Style Skirt
- Hardware Finish: Chrome
- Strings: Nickel Plated Steel .009-.042 Gauges
- Other Features: Luminlay® Side Dots