Great Eastern FX Co. Small Speaker Overdrive Pedal
A dynamic, low-gain overdrive inspired by classic "small-amp-in-the-studio" tones!
5 IN STOCK
Order now for delivery to you on Mon 23rd May 2022.
to order online today
at our Guildford Store
FREE UK Delivery
Earn 219 Loyalty Points
Click and Collect
Bored of conventional overdrive pedals and want something different? Well, the Small Speaker Overdrive (SSO) from Great Eastern FX Co. might tickle your fancy! This low-gain stompbox is designed to emulate traditional "small-amp-in-the-studio" tones — essentially making your big amp sound tiny!
But why would you want to shrink your guitar tone? Well, some of the most iconic guitar sounds of all time were recorded using surprisingly small, low-wattage amps — like the famous tweed "Champ". These types of amplifiers may not be ideal for live applications but, in the studio, they're absolute dynamite and have been adored by recording engineers for decades! Mic'd up, a compact amp just has that tight mid-range "bark" and break-up which really cuts through in a mix and, actually, sounds anything but small.
The SSO is not an "amp-in-a-box" simulator of one particular amplifier per se, but its unique and discrete transistor circuit harnesses some of the most coveted characteristics synonymous with small-speaker, vintage valve combos. It's super-punchy, focused, and allows all of your expressive playing dynamics to gloriously shine through!
The Great Eastern FX Co. Small Speaker Overdrive comes equipped with four controls that give you plenty to play with:
- GAIN: Takes the pedal from almost clean, through edge-of-breakup tones to saturated overdrive. The SSO is very sensitive to playing dynamics and volume knob adjustments. With GAIN set low, the SSO can be used as a boost, preamp and tone-shaper. Driven hard, it mimics the mid-range "honk" of a simple Class-A amp circuit driving a small speaker. If you wish, you can use the GAIN control to set the maximum amount of overdrive then explore a range of clean and dirty textures directly from your guitar's volume knob.
- LOW: Lets you add more bass and body to the tone, or rein in that low-end for classic, characterful small amp sounds. From a starting point around 9 o'clock, there's plenty of scope to boost lows if required.
- HIGH: Provides precise control over presence and bite. Starting from 12 o'clock, turn the control clockwise to boost highs. Conversely, rolling off the high-end lets you emphasise the mid-range; great for smooth, singing slide tones.
- LEVEL: Sets the output of the pedal. Simple!
"The Small Speaker Overdrive does something special — sometimes it’s the difference between ‘nearly there’ and ‘just right’ in a recorded guitar sound." — Dave Lockwood, Sound On Sound
"This is the tweed channel our Fender Princeton never knew it had, and single-note runs on a Les Paul are as sweet and stretchy as sonic bubblegum." — Richard Purvis, Guitar.com
- Size: 125 x 66 x 55 mm (4.9 x 2.6 x 2.2 inches)
- Weight: 320g (0.7lb)
- Current Draw: <10mA
- Power Requirements: 9V DC mains adaptor only (not included)
- Top-Mounted Jacks: Saves precious pedalboard real-estate!
- Made in Cambridge, England, UK.
Earn loyalty points whenever you shop at Andertons. Points can be earned and used online, in store or over the phone: earn and use points however you choose to shop! No need to sign up - points are added automatically when you make a purchase! The more you shop, the more you save, so start earning points now!
What are points worth?
One point is worth a 1p discount, and there's no limit on the number of points used per purchase! For example, if you have 1000 points, you can redeem them for a £10 discount on any purchase.
How many points will I earn when I shop?
We display the number of points available for a product on the product's page on our website. Normally we'll give you one point for every pound you spend, but watch out for double and triple points deals for even more savings!
Here at Andertons Music Co. we believe that we stock some of the best musical equipment in the world. That's why we want to make it as quick and easy as possible for you to get your order, safe and sound!
We offer a wide range of delivery options to help fit around your busy lifestyle without compromise. This includes free, named-day delivery for most UK postcodes on orders over £99 which are in stock, Saturday & Sunday deliveries, and competitive delivery rates worldwide.
Please note: Some UK postcodes including remote areas and Northern Ireland are subject to charges.
You can find full details about the services we offer, including details on our international delivery charges, on our main delivery page. Click here to read more.
Finance available at checkout for orders £300+