T-Rex is a small company with big ideas; based in Denmark, they've produced some of the most popular (and eye-catching) guitar pedals in the world. Now they've reissued some of their earliest trailblazing effects in the form of hand-built stompboxes that sound every bit as luscious as you can imagine!
The Original Mudhoney
Arguably one of T-Rex's most famous pedals, the Mudhoney has always been hailed as an all-encompassing distortion toolkit. Despite its deceptively simple interface, it boasts a versatile tonal palette with a number of syrupy sweet spots!
It's versatility is one of the reasons that it's become so popular; it sits perfectly in pretty much any style of playing. This authentic reworking of the original circuit delivers a punchy midrange and a gain mode switch which allows you to hone in on your preferred flavour.
Dial up the gain for an immersive, saturated distortion sound or roll it off and tweak the tone knob for a gritty, razor-sharp overdrive and boost - and everything in between!
- “The yellow one” - Raunchy-but-smooth distortion
- Handbuilt in Denmark
- True bypass
- Reproduction of the original Mudhoney circuit
- Selected parts match or surpass the old ones in quality/sound
Here's what T-Rex have to say about the Mudhoney Original Distortion:
This pedal is a reissue of one of the very first stompbox series made by T-Rex.
They were handmade in Vejle, Denmark using local suppliers and “local” employees such as family members and friends of T-Rex
founders Lars and Sebastian. Yes, the old, sought-after Mudhoneys, Albertas and Tremsters were made in a smokey, low-key environment filled with passion and late-night soldering. We´re talking small scale, big expectations, here.
The reissue pedals use the same leaded components and parts as the old ones, but are wave soldered for higher precision and quality. The bypass circuit has been changed to a true bypass design, but other than that, it´s just like the old days. We even stuck in some resistor values that were “slightly off the mark” but contributed to the sound in a very positive way.
We are very proud to give re-birth to these three classics in “the right way” by doing the work ourselves in Vejle, Denmark. We hope they will keep the legacy of our red, blue and yellow “babies” alive while giving players a second chance for owning one of them.
- Gain: Adjusts the level of distortion in conjunction with the mode switch
- Tone: Adjusts the high/treble frequencies
- Level: Controls the output level. Settings above 12 o´clock will boost the level relative to the
- bypassed signal. At maximum, the output level is boosted appr. 15dB
- Mode: The switch controls the overall distortion level from moderate to high-gain
- Input impedance 500 K Ohm
- Output impedance 1 K Ohm
- Power supply 9 VDC . 2,1 mm barrel plug .
- Current draw @ 9 VDC 6 mA
- Maximum input signal Vp-p 3 Vp-p
- Battery type / Battery life 9 V battery 6F22 / 14 - 18 hours
- External connectors Input jack, Output jack, 9 VDC Jack
- Controls On/off, Level, Gain, Tone, Boost
- Unit size and weight (W x H x D) 100 x 55 x 120 mm / 3.9 x 2.2 x 4.7 in
- 0,350 kg / 12.3 oz