The Jazz bass is among some of the most recognisable instruments of all time. Originally intended, as the name suggests, for the upmarket jazz crowd, it surpassed all expectations, becoming a go-to bass guitar for everyone from Jaco Pastorius to RHCP's Flea. For the Contemporary Series, Squier have injected the classic Jazz bass design with modern playability and a revitalised sound!
Body & Neck
For the Active Jazz Bass, Squier have opted for an Ash body. Originally used by Fender for their earliest solid-body offerings in the '50s, it provides a scooped midrange with accentuated lows and highs. This allows you to sit comfortably in a mix without interfering with other frequencies - plus it's brilliant for the more adventurous player who favours drop-tunings or a bit of slap now and then.
For the neck, they've chosen the familiar satin Maple C-shape configuration, offering a snappy response and comfortable playability. The Maple neck extends to the fretboard for that classic Fender aesthetic, not to mention a tone with heaps of depth and definition.
Last but by no means least, aesthetics; the striking matte polyester finish is used for both the body and the headstock for a stunning modern edge.
Hardware & Electronics
Chrome hardware is used throughout; combined with the standard open-gear tuners, 3-ply pickguard and 4-saddle bridge, your left with more than a handful of retro undertones, respectful of the Jazz bass' rich heritage. Chrome metal dome knobs add a little touch of high-end class to finish it off.
Finally, as the name suggests, Squier have loaded this model with two high-output humbuckers - the SQR Active Ceramics. This final element tips the Contemporary Active Jazz bass into modern tonal territory, offering extreme clarity and sustain. Perfectly suited to anything from crushing metal riffage to spanky funk basslines!
- Series: Contemporary
- Body Material: Ash
- Body Finish: Matte Polyester
- Neck: Maple, “C” Shape
- Neck Finish: Natural Satin with Satin Matching Headstock
- Fingerboard: Maple, 12” (305 mm)
- Frets: 20, Narrow Tall
- Position Inlays: Black Dots
- Nut (Material/Width): Synthetic Bone, 1.5” (38.1 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Standard Open-Gear
- Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
- Bridge: 4-Saddle Standard
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black (505), 3-Ply White (510)
- Pickups: Squier SQR Ceramic Humbucker (Bridge),
- Squier SQR Ceramic Humbucker (Neck)
- Pickup Switching: None
- Special Electronics: Squier 9V Active Preamp
- Controls: Master Volume, Blend, Master Tone, Bass/Treble Boost
- Control Knobs: Metal Dome
- Hardware Finish: Black Chrome