The Shure Beta 58 retains the basic tone of the SM58 but, by using more modern microphone components, Shure have improved certain areas of the mics performance. For a start the Beta 58 has a better frequency response & has slightly better high end clarity when compared to the SM58. The Beta 58 also has better feedback rejection than the SM58, meaning you can get a little bit more volume out of a Beta 58 before the mic starts to feedback. The Beta 58 is just as reliable as the SM58 & will give you years (decades!!) of trouble free use.
Here's what Shure say about the Beta 58
The Shure Beta 58A is a high-output supercardioid dynamic vocal microphone designed for professional sound reinforcement and project studio recording. It has become a leading choice among vocalists and touring professionals worldwide. The Beta 58A maintains a true supercardioid pattern throughout its frequency range. This insures high gain before feedback, maximum isolation from other sound sources, and minimum off-axis tone coloration. The Beta 58A has a shaped frequency response that is ideal for close?up vocals. The superb performance of this microphone is not affected by rough handling because of its rugged construction, proven shock mount system, and hardened steel mesh grille. The Beta 58A microphone accentuates the warmth and clarity of lead and backup vocals. Its supercardioid design provides maximum isolation from other onstage sounds.
- Frequency response tailored for vocals, with brightened midrange and bass rolloff to control proximity effect
- Uniform supercardioid pattern for high gain before feedback and superior rejection of off axis sound
- Neodymium magnet for high signal to noise output
- Hardened steel mesh grille that resists wear and abuse
- Advanced pneumatic shock mount system that minimizes transmission of mechanical noise and vibration
- Minimally effected by varying load impedance
- Legendary Shure quality and reliability