The Mad Professor Amber Overdrive is a unique style of drive. It simulates the sound of an overdive or fuzz pedal hitting an already driven valve amp in just one pedal. So even if you are running in to a small clean amp you can still get that drive on drive tone found thoughout a lot of heavier rock styles.
The reason why people started putting overdrive pedals infront of tube amps was to createst the largest and fattest tone possible especially with a set of humbuckers. With the Amber Overdrive you get both layers of drive in a single pedal making the pain of blending everything together a thing of the past.
So if you did run a pedal into an amplifier you would have a lot of controls to mess around with, quite often this is more of a pain than it is worth. That is why Mad Professor simplified it down to just 3 controls volume, drive and tone so you don't need to worry about finding the sweet spot on multiple pieces of gear. This pedal is all you need.
Saturation and Sustain
One of the big joys out of using this pedal is the insnae amount of saturation and sustain you get out of it. There are not many drives in the world that can claim to make such a powerful overdrive that also cleans up like a dream. Just roll back your volume control or hit it with a lighter touch for a much calmer, cleaner tone.
Here's what Mad Professor say about the Amber Overdrive
One of the most sought after guitar tones is a combination of a great overdrive or fuzz pedal into overdriven tube amplifier. Amber Overdrive produces this sound even when running though a clean amplifier. It produces a very thick sound whether playing chords or single notes - fat and juicy with just a hint of fuzz.
Though highly saturated, this dynamic overdrive can be cleaned up with the volume control of your guitar. As with all Mad Professor pedals, it offers a wide range of dynamics and expressive touch sensitivity.
When you plug it into a clean amplifier, Amber Overdrive can give you the massive sound of a saturated amplifier running wide open. It can also be used as a slightly distorted boost to increase saturation on slightly overdriven amplifiers.
NOTICE: Amber Overdrive is a medium input impedance device that places a light load on your guitar pickups to produce a smoother tone. it will work best as the first pedal in the chain. if you run a buffered pedal ahead of Amber Overdrive you will get an increase in treble and upper midrange.
Build the Mad Professor way: small footprint and big tone.
- VOLUME: This knob sets the overall output level of the pedal.
- DRIVE: settings from low to center will allow you to control the saturation with the volume control on the guitar. To use amber as light overdrive set this control at the beginning of rotation.
- TONE: This is a boost/cut "shelving" type equalizer that controls the amount of high end, operating somewhere between a bright switch and the treble control on most amplifiers.
- TONE: turning this counterclockwise reduces the amount of high end. If you must run a buffered pedal ahead of Amber Overdrive try lowering the treble.
- Current consumption: 2,5mA@9V
- Voltage range: 7,5-12 V
- Input impedance: 45K
- Output drive capability: 25K Ohms
- Complete true bypass and input of circuit
- grounded in bypass