The ES-335 model is one of the most recognisable in Gibson’s iconic instrument range. Considered by many as the quintessential semi-hollow guitar, this Custom Shop 1961 VOS model recaptures the essence of early versions.
Sure to appeal to traditionalists, the Gibson Custom Shop 1961 ES-335 has many time-honoured features, including an old-school vintage burst finish covered in a VOS nitrocellulose lacquer.
The ES-335 is regarded for its elegant semi-hollow body, which allows you to achieve bright and open sounds with plenty of natural acoustic-like volume. Formed from a 3-ply Maple/Poplar combination, these tonewoods give this guitar plenty of vibrancy and top-end definition.
To add some warmth, the ES-335's body is paired with a Quartersawn Mahogany neck; topped with a Dark Rosewood fingerboard for a silky feel under the fingers. The neck adheres to Gibson's '60s slim taper profile, offering excellent comfort for both traditionalists and even contemporary players.
Electronics & Hardware
A double-dose of medium-output MHS humbuckers give this instrument a balanced, warm tone. More responsive to your playing dynamics, these pickups lend themselves to expressive guitarists. Although semi-hollow guitars are more synonymous with jazz players, with distortion these humbuckers can sound fairly raunchy and bold; meaning they're not just one trick ponies.
The Custom Shop 1961 ES-335 VOS comes installed with an ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge, providing a stable and solid feel under the picking hand. With its simple and accessible design making it easy to adjust your action and intonation, you can easily manipulate your setup on-the-fly. Fitted with nickel-plated brass saddles, their traditional-style design yields greater sustain and top-end sparkle.
- Material: 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Top: 3-ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Type: Semi-Hollow
- Finish: VOS Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Colour: Vintage Burst
- Neck: Quartersawn Mahogany
- Profile: '60s Slim Taper
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Fingerboard: Dark Rosewood
- Radius: 12"
- Number of Frets: 22, Medium Jumbo, Nickel Silver
- Inlays: Pearloid Dots
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Bridge: ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic with Nickel-Plated Brass Saddles
- Tailpiece: Aluminum Stopbar
- Tuners: Kluson Double Ring Keystone Buttons
- Plating: Nickel
- Neck Pickup: MHS Rhythm Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup: MHS Lead Humbucker
- Controls: 2 Volumes, 2 Tones, 3-Way Toggle Pickup Switch, Memphis Tone Circuit