If you've ever heard Karnivool then you'll understand how important a good bass distortion is! For any rock band, having that bit of dirt or grunt on your bass tone is incredibly important and adds power and weight that you just wouldn't get from a clean bass tone.
Enter the Darkglass Alpha Omicron
The circuit on the Alpha Omicron isn't a brand new one. In fact, this signature bass distortion has been around for a little while but this version offers you the same great tones in a smaller format.
As far as bass tones go you get 2 incredible options.
- The Alpha setting is a punchy, tight bass distortion with loads of definition.
- The Omega setting is simply brutal and raw.
Unlike most pedals where you have to choose between one setting or the other, you can actually blend the 2 different channels together. This allows you to find your perfect biting point for your ultimate bass tone.
Blend and Level Control
Not only can you get full-throttle distortion tones that'll still be heard in a heavy band mix, but you can control how the Alpha Omicron affects your dry signal. The Level control will affect output level. So if you plan on going from a clean tone to a distorted tone you can match the level of both to avoid the sudden jump.
But most importantly, you can blend your clean and distorted signal together. This will mean you don't have to sacrifice all of your clean bass tone but you can dial in just the right amount of distortion onto your clean signal.
Here's what Darkglass say about the Alpha Omicron
With its distinct design, unparalleled versatility and shear display of brutality, the Alpha Omega is relentlessly carving a path to becoming the new standard for bass players in need of a pre-amplifier to be apologetically heard in any musical context.
With the Alpha Omega’s popularity and momentum, we decided it was time for an uncompromising option to those in search of the same bone-crushing sound and flexibility but in a smaller, more affordable format.
It is our pleasure to introduce to you our new Alpha•Omicron.With the double distortion engine (Alpha and Omega), this latest creation from Darkglass Electronics can deliver the same harmonically rich, varied textures that its bigger brother can, but all at a fraction of the size and cost.
Pedals main controls are:
- Blend: Mixes the clean and processed signals. The clean signal remains at unity gain while the volume of the overdriven signal is set by the Level knob, allowing for fine mix tuning.
- Level: Sets the volume of the overdriven signal.
- Drive: Sets the amount of gain in the overdriven signal.
- Mod: Selects or mixes between the two distinct distortion circuits: Alpha is punchy, tight with a lot of definition, whereas Omega is simply brutal and raw.
- Bite Switch: Boosts High Mids (2.8kHz) for additional presence and definition.
- Growl Switch: Shelving Bass Boost for a fatter tone and increased low end saturation.