The PRE-73 is a vintage-voiced preamp from the new Premier range of Golden Age recording equipment. The Premier line features top quality components and design whilst delivering excellent value for money.
Golden Age Premier have constructed the PRE-73 in line with their brief; retro-style circuitry made with discrete components. The PRE-73 captures the classic sweet, punchy and musical characteristics heard on countless old school records. An adjustable high pass filter, high frequency air EQ boost and output drive makes the PRE-73 gives you plenty of room to experiement.
The Premier range is kitted out with polystyrene and tantalum capacitors, and gold-plated contacts for all switches. These added details keep the PRE-73 sounding deliciously crisp. The beefed up power supply ensures you're getting a constant flow of electricity, making this more reliable than original vintage preamps.
Golden Age have designed the PRE-73 to be as adaptable as possible to a range of microphones. The preamp produces up to 80dB, which is enough to handle passive mics with ease. Switch between 1200 and 300 Ohm impedance to alter the mic voicing and instrument compatibility, on top of gain and output levels. Of course, the PRE-73 has switchable phantom power and absolute phase.
A simple four LED lights indicate decibel level and clipping for clear results. Mount the PRE-73 in the Golden Age Unite Premier rack kit to keep your precious gear protected in a busy studio.
- Vintage Style electronics. No integrated circuits in the signal path.
- Maximum gain in mic mode is 80 dB, enough to handle passive ribbon mics with quiet sound sources.
- Classic 23-position Gain/Line switch with 5 dB steps and a gain range of 20 to 80 dB for mic and -10 to +20 dB for line.
- A two band LF (+/-15 dB) and HF (+/-20 dB) shelving equalizer with two selectable frequencies for each band.
- Inductor based +/- 15 dB midrange equalizer section with three selectable frequencies. The lowest one is selectable between 350 and 700 Hz.
- Switchable impedance in mic mode, 1200 or 300 Ohm, will change the tone of most mics. The input impedance in line mode is 10 kOhm.
- Switchable phantom power and absolute phase.
- A high-impedance instrument input for any sound module, electric guitar or bass.
- A simple but effective 4-step LED output level meter.
- The output level control makes it possible to make fine gain adjustments and also to overload the main gain stage(s) for more character.
- Separate combo XLR/TRS jack for the MIC and LINE input and separate output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections.
- Selectable 600 Ohm output termination.
- Prepared for mounting one or two units in the UNITE PREMIER rack kit. It can also be mounted in one of the other UNITE rack kits and combined with --the red and black Golden Age Project products.
- Connector free internal wiring, all connections except the ones to the gain switch --are soldered for the purest signal and most longterm stable signal path.
- UK made Carnhill microphone input and line output transformers.
- The pcb is prepared for the Carnhill 9046M line input transformer.
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuits and transformers.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.