John 5 is famously a Telecaster fanatic, but a regular Tele just can't stand up to the heavy metal demands of playing with Marilyn Manson or Rob Zombie. The Squier J5 John 5 signature Telecaster solves this problem by keeping the familiar comfort and playability of a Tele but adding powerful humbuckers and a dual-volume control setup. The result is that classic Tele feel but with a sound and style more suited to aggressive metal.
While it may have a non-traditional look and tone, the J5 doesn't mess with the classic formula when it comes to construction. You get the classic single-cutaway alder body and maple neck combo that has served players well for decades. The fingerboard is made of laurel which has a similar look and feel to rosewood but isn't as expensive which keeps this model affordable.
While the construction may be traditional, John 5 and Squier have tweaked the Tele aesthetic to give it a more sleek and modern edge. This model has a slick black finish with a matching headstock and a chrome pickguard and hardware. The body is also double-bound which adds a classy touch.
Pickups and Electronics
One of the most obvious differences is, of course, the two humbuckers right in the centre of the guitar. The neck humbucker features Alnico V magnets which makes it a high-output, punchy humbucker but still has a warm, vintage vibe. The bridge pickup on the other hand uses ceramic magnets which has a more modern and powerful sound for when you really want to turn up the gain and get aggressive. With the dual volume control setup you can blend the two pickups together and get the balance between the two types of pickup just right.
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Body Binding: Bound Top and Back
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck Shape: Modern "C"
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard: Indian Laurel
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: White Pearloid Dot
- Headstock: Matching Painted Headcap
- Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Standard
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Humbucking with Ceramic Magnet
- Neck Pickup: Custom Humbucking with Alnico 5 Magnets
- Controls: Volume (Neck Pickup), Volume (Bridge Pickup)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Bridge: 6-Saddle Tele with Humbucking Pickup Cutout
- Hardware Finish: Chrome/Stainless Steel
- Tuning Machines: Standard Die-Cast
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Chrome
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top