Register this product within 30 days of purchase, and you can extend its standard 3 Year Warranty to 6 Years! Click here to register.
The QSC KW181 Active Subwoofer features some nifty digital signal processing, to ensure the most efficient and powerful bass tones ever! Intelligently scanning transients in the audio as well as other factors, the KW181 uses ‘Intrinsic Correction’ and maps 65-75 spatially-averaged measurements to IIR and FIR filters that actively adjust time, frequency and amplitude response to a maximally flat bandpass target. The result is audibly smoother, punchier low end that you can feel as well as hear!
Speakers from the KW series are made from premium-grade Baltic Birch, and offer you 1000W of power and a Class D amplifier. Featuring a built-in 2 channel mixer, you can plug almost anything directly into these speakers and mix your inputs with minimum fuss. If you need any more, any mixer can be added to boost your versatility; although QSC's Touchmix 8 and 16 units have been designed to work seamlessly with the system.
As an authorized retailer of QSC, we are pleased to offer you a 6 year warranty on these products; although we are confident you’ll never need it!
Here's what QSC says about KW Series Active Speakers:
Building on the success of our K Series, the KW Series represents the next evolutionary step in wood enclosure loudspeakers. Our system engineers have created the KW Series to feature all the groundbreaking electronic attributes of our popular K Series while at the same time designing a product that is both smaller and significantly lighter than previous wood enclosure models.
High Output: Like K Series, each of the four KW Series models features a QSC designed, 1000 watt (2 x 500 W continuous) Class D power module. And continuing in the K Series tradition, every model is fitted with the identical high-output 1.75" HF device (full-range models) and woofers of the same high quality design, regardless of speaker size.
Defined Coverage Area: Directivity Matched Transition (DMT) provides for matched LF and HF coverage across the entire listening area, eliminating unnatural "dead" or "hot" frequency zones.
DSP: Extensive signal processing is employed throughout, providing levels of sonic clarity and total output that defy all expectations for a product in this category:
- Intrinsic Correction, first featured in our high-end line array products maps 65-75 spatially-averaged measurements to IIR and FIR filters that actively adjust time, frequency and amplitude response to a maximally flat bandpass target. The result is a speaker that behaves equally well across the entire sound field.
- DEEP and excursion limiting allow for extended low-frequency response by actively managing low-frequency transients without degradation of the underlying signal or adjacent frequencies. GuardRail protection, first introduced on our GX Series amplifiers protects both the amplifier module and your performance from unnatural and destructive clipping.
- Connectivity: KW Series features a four-position mic / line gain switch that allows for connection of a wide variety of devices. Combo XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs accept both mic and line level input while a set of RCA phono inputs (except KW181) allow additional connectivity to portable MP3 players, CD players and line-level mixers. Up to three audio sources can be mixed internally and summed to a balanced output for "daisy-chaining" of multiple units. Separate direct outputs are also provided on each channel for additional output flexibility.
Control: On-board switches provide preset EQ settings. The HF setting (full-range models) can be set to VOCAL BOOST for additional presence in the critical mid-frequency area or FLAT for accurate reproduction of the incoming signal. The LF switch can be set to NORM, DEEP for additional bass extension, or EXT SUB (full-range models) for use with an external subwoofer. The rear panel LED switch can be set to POWER, illuminating the front-mounted LED when the unit is powered on, OFF for applications where it is not desirable to illuminate the front LED, or LIMIT which indicates to the system operator that the clip limiter circuit has been engaged during operation.
Tilt-Direct: The KW122 and KW152 feature a unique Tilt-Direct pole cup mounting system. A simple turn of the dial engages a 7.5 degree downward tilt of the speaker allowing acoustic energy to be kept on the audience and off reflective surfaces for applications where maximum coverage from a high-positioned speaker is desired.
Remote Gain: Remote gain control capability is offered via a potentiometer (not included) connected to the on-board Phoenix-Style connector. In an installed application, multiple KW Series speakers can be "daisy-chained" for total gain control from a single remote pot. Auto-standby mode is engaged after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Premium-grade materials: KW Series is designed to withstand the rigors of professional use. Advanced construction processes, premium-grade Baltic birch cabinetry, ergonomic, cast aluminum handles, low-noise casters (KW181) and a highly protective steel grille provide for ease of transport and long term durability. Integrated M10 suspension points allow for flown applications with a KW M10 KIT (sold separately) and a threaded pole receptacle (KW181) provides for a positive, wobble free connection to a threaded speaker pole (included).
- Configuration: 18" subwoofer
- Transducer: 18" cone transducer
- Frequency Response (-6 dB): 38 Hz to 124 Hz
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 34 Hz to 143 Hz
- Maximum SPL1: 135 dB peak
- Power Output2: 1000 W Class D continuous / 2000 W peak
- Input Impedance: XLR / ¼": 38 kΩ balanced / 19 kΩ unbalanced
- Controls: Power, Gain, LF Mode (Normal/DEEP™), Polarity (Normal/Reverse), Front LED (On/Off/Limit)
- Indicators: Power, Signal, Standby, Limit
- Connectors: Dual balanced female XLR/¼" line level input, Dual Balanced male XLR full range line level out, Remote gain control, Locking IEC power connector
- Cooling: On demand, 50 mm variable speed fan
- Amplifier Protection: Thermal limiting, output overcurrent, overtemperature muting, GuardRail¼
- Transducer Protection: Thermal limiting, excursion limiting
- AC Power Input: Universal power supply 100-240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz
- AC Power Consumption (1/8 Power): 100 VAC, 2.3 A | 120 VAC, 2.01 A | 230 VAC, 1.13 A
- Material: 15 mm painted birch plywood
- Finish: Black textured paint
- Grille: Rugged Powder-Coated Steel Grille
- Dimensions (HWD): 20.1" x 23.4" x 29.9" with casters / 510 mm x 595 mm x 761 mm with casters
- Weight (Net): 88 lb (40 kg)
- Available Accessories: KW181 cover