How do you take a guitar that's defined a generation (and then some) and still manage to improve upon it? Well, Martin have done just that by applying small, but effective changes to their iconic dreadnought guitar.
Tonally, the biggest difference Martin have made is the new forward-shifted bracing. This allows the top to vibrate and resonate more than ever before while still offering a strong support structure for the guitars body.
Vintage & Modern
The combination of aged spruce top, vintage open-gear tuners and modern forward-shifted bracing means that this guitar captures the tone of an old, well played instrument but with modern playability. And it's far more reliable than an older instrument too!
The new high performance neck feels more comfortable in the palm without taking so much away that you feel short changed. The comfortable fit simply means you can play for hours on end without your hands getting tired.
Here's what Martin say about the D-28:
Sometimes innovation is in the details and this is certainly true with Martin’s re-imagined D-28. After nearly a century at the helm, and as the quintessential workhorse of music legends like Hank Williams, The Beatles, JOHNNY CASH, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and so many more, Martin's legendary D-28 has been lovingly and artfully enhanced.
“The post WWII D-28 had a slightly different look than its predecessor and became the centerpiece of the folk and folk rock movements at their pinnacle in the 1950s and 1960s." says Chris Martin, Chairman and CEO of Martin Guitar, "We have extracted the finest features from the D-28 of both my grandfather’s and my father’s respective eras.”
The all new D-28 blends the rich history of the guitar with Martin’s newest and most heralded innovations. The 184 year old guitar maker has combined vintage appointments, including open gear tuners, an aged toner top, antique white accents, and a faux tortoise pickguard with a new neck profile to give D-28 enthusiasts a modern feel and comfortable playing experience. Martin has also added forward-shifted bracing to allow greater vibration of the top. The legend just got better!
- TOP COLOR: Aging Toner
- BRIDGE STYLE: Modern Belly - Drop in Saddle
- BINDING: Antique White
- BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2 5/32"
- TOP INLAY MATERIAL: Multi-Stripe
- BRIDGE MATERIAL: Ebony
- TOP DETAIL: None
- BRIDGE PIN MATERIAL: White Plastic
- PICKGUARD: Tortoise Pattern
- BRIDGE PIN DOTS: Faux Tortoise
- PICKGUARD INLAY: None
- SADDLE: Compensated Bone
- ROSETTE: Multi-Stripe
- SADDLE RADIUS: 16"
- BRACE MATERIAL: Sitka Spruce
- BACK & SIDES COLOR: None
- BRACE SIZE: 5/16"
- BACK DETAIL: None
- BACK PURFLING/STRIP: Style 28
- BACK INLAY MATERIAL: Multi-Stripe
- HEELCAP: Antique White
- SIDE DETAIL: None
- ENDPIECE: Antique White
- SIDE INLAY MATERIAL: None
- ENDPIECE INLAY: Multi-Stripe
- NECK MATERIAL: Select Hardwood
- FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Ebony
- FINISH NECK: Satin
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 2 1/8''
- NECK COLOR: Dark Mahogany
- FINGERBOARD INLAY STYLE: Style 28
- NUMBER OF FRETS TOTAL: 20
- FINGERBOARD INLAY MATERIAL: Mother-of-Pearl
- NECK JOINS BODY AT: 14th Fret
- FINGERBOARD BINDING MATERIAL: None
- SIDE DOTS: White
- HEADSTOCK SHAPE: Solid with Square Taper and Diamond
- TUNING MACHINES: Nickel Open Gear
- HEADPLATE MATERIAL: East Indian Rosewood
- KNOB: Butterbean
- HEADPLATE LOGO STYLE: Script Old Style Overlay
- NUT MATERIAL: Bone
- HEADPLATE BINDING MATERIAL: None