The Mad Professor Super Black is essentially a Fender Blackface - in a box! Carefully replicating the amp's signal path, Mad Professor designed the Super Black to allow players to easily turn their amplifiers into vintage '60s Fender glory!
While the Super Black works well straight into the front-end of your amp, don’t be afraid to also plug it into the return jack of your amp's effects loop. This way, you can bypass the preamp of your amp and get the sound of a full Blackface signal path without the colour of your amp's preamp stage.
Here's what Mad Professor says about the Super Black Pedal:
Classic Blackface Tones
Super Black is an amp-in-a-box pedal that will deliver the punchy, mid scooped and sparkling chimey clean tone that Fender Blackface amplifiers are famous for. And this might be the most sought after Fender sound! It'll also deliver the most beautiful and amp-like break up tone you could imagine. Gain and Volume controls make it easy to find the sweet spot and nail this iconic tone at any volume; still retaining full clarity.
Fender Blackface amps, when pushed nearly all the way, produce fantastic classic overdriven tones as well. At this point, even the smallest models are fairly loud though. Enter the Mad Professor Super Black and you have a rocking machine at your feet at any volume.
Bass & Compression Switches
We at Mad Professor Amplification noticed some variation in the amounts of both low end and compression, depending on the model when we looked at both big and small Blackface amps. Therefore we added two mini switches, one for the bass and one for compression. You get to tailor these characteristics, whether you want more or less, by adjusting these two switches.
Sweet Honey Overdrive Circuit
And there is more! We added our best-selling overdrive pedal, Sweet Honey Overdrive, to boost the front end of the Super Black. Sweet Honey Overdrive pedal into a Blackface amp is a magic combination! Now you have even more possibilities when you are fine-tuning your overdriven tones with the rest of your gear. Having its own on/off switch plus Volume and Drive controls means you can use the Sweet Honey circuit separately too!
- Middle & Treble: Adjustments for amount of middle and high frequencies in the preamp section.
- Bass: Adjusts the amount of the low frequencies.
- Presence: Adjust the amount of high frequencies at pedal output.
- Gain: Adjusts the amount of distortion in Blackface side.
- Drive: Adjusts the amount of distortion in Sweet Honey side.
- Volume: Sets the output level (x2, one for Blackface side and one for Sweet Honey side).
- Bass Cut Switch: Full bass level on the left and slightly cut low bass on the right.
- Compression Switch: More compression on the left and less compression with maximum dynamics on the right.
- 9V DC power supply input, 2.1mm plug center negative and positive sleeve.
- Current consumption at 9V DC: 27mA
- Voltage range: 8V-16V
- Input impedance: 400 kOhm
- Output impedance: 1.5 kOhm
- Complete bypass (true bypass)