If you have engineered live gigs you know that there are a lot of venues that don't have anywhere good for you to set up your mixer. The DL32R from Mackie looks to fix a lot of the problems faced in most venues. You have total control over every aspect of this mixer from anywhere in the venue with the free controller iPad app. This means you can choose where you want to mix from at any given time. On stage, off stage, balcony or floor you can mix anywhere and everywhere. That is not all though, as the DL32R is loaded with amazing features that will leave you wondering how you worked without it before. This isn't all bark and no bite though. This mixer sounds great with 32 Onyx+ Mic Pres and 14 XLR outputs you can wire this up to fit nearly any scenario.
100% Recallable Digital Mixer
So you have turned up to your next gig, set everything up. But now you need to either try and remember your mixer settings or just go from scratch. The DL32R removes the need for memory games and little pieces of tape on the desk to jog your memory. This mixer is 100% recallable. So at the touch of a button it goes back to your saved settings. Making your life easier and your set up time shorter. Not every venue is the same but having a rough mix for your band before you have even arrived at the venue can be a huge help.
Playback & Recording
Normally if you wanted to record a gig or playback a backing track at a gig it required setting up a computer, audio interface and wiring it all in at every gig. The DL32R has 24x24 recording tools built in (32x32 coming soon). Just connect an external hard drive via USB and you are ready to record. No extra set up needed just press record on the iPad. As part of these tools you can also playback audio such as backing tracks without interrupting the recording.
Chuck The Snake
One of the most hated tools in live sound engineering is the snake. They are big, heavy and just end up causing pain and annoyance to anyone having to use them. But what if the mixers input could be on the stage while the controller was somewhere else in the room? You can do just that with this mixer. Simply set up the DL32R on the stage with all of your normal inputs and outputs and then control the entire gig from your iPad wirelessly. Say goodbye to the snake because with this mixer you will never have to use one again.
As a sound engineer you have a lot work to do before the gig so you get there early. But guess what? your band is late for their gig. You can't delay soundcheck so what do you do? Well with the DL32R if you have previously recorded the band playing through the mixers record feature you can run a virtual soundcheck. Just play back the audio through the correct channels and you can get their perfect sound before they have arrived. This is not only useful for when working in situations like this. Sometimes it can just be easier and more convenient to soundcheck without the band on stage. And when that time comes you will be ready with this mixer.
Personal Monitor Mixes
A big problem you can face is that different members of the band want different monitor mixes but you don't have the time to get each one set up. So why not give them control? The DL32R can be connected to multiple iOS devices so each member can create their own monitor mix on stage at any time. You don't even need to worry about them messing up your perfect front of house mix as you can limit exactly what each device can access on the mixer. Musicians perform the best when they can hear exactly what they want. So giving them some level of control can make the gig go a lot more smoothly.
Mackie DL series mixers comes with free software to help you get the most of your purchase. Included from September 12 2019 is Avid's Pro Tools First DAW with the exclusive Musician Collection which feature 23 Avid plug-ins, including the 304C Compressor and 304E EQ bundle. Pro Tools is widely used by professionals in the recording industry and you can get a slice of the quality with the entry-level Pro Tools First. Also included is Waveform OEM DAW and the DAW Essentials Collection from Tracktion which features 16 professional plug-ins for use with any DAW.
Here's what Mackie say about the DL32R Digital Mixer
The DL32R delivers 32-channels of powerful digital mixing that's completely controlled wirelessly from your iPad, freeing you to get in the mix like never before. It's got convenient direct-to-drive multi-track recording/playback and an ultra-compact 3U rackmount design that lets you ditch the snake once and for all. Fully loaded with DSP on each of the 32 Onyx+ mic pres and 28 busses, the DL32R provides the power needed for professional applications. The industry-proven Master Fader control app delivers extremely intuitive control over everything, including the ability to digitally recall each and every setting for incredibly fast setup. Control everything from anywhere with the Mackie DL32R.
32-CHANNEL WIRELESS DIGITAL MIXER
- 32 Onyx+ recallable mic pres with wireless control
- 14 fully-assignable XLR outputs
- Stereo AES digital output
- Total recall of all settings
- 3U rackmount design ready for road or install
- Card slot for Dante expansion card*
- Complete control from your iPad
- No set FOH position - mix from anywhere
- Personal monitor mixing via iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
- Supports up to 10 separate iOS devices at once
- Multiple engineers can work from a single mixer
- Ditch the snake - place the mixer anywhere
MULTI-TRACK RECORDING & PLAYBACK
- 32x32 USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac or PC
- 24x24 recording/playback direct to USB 2.0 hard drive
- Wireless control over all direct-to-disk recording/playback functions
- Record the show for later mixdown
- Play back intermission music and backing tracks
- Perform a virtual soundcheck
- Amazing recording interface for the studio
- Utilize Mac or PC audio plug-ins in a live environment
36 input channels with 4-band PEQ + HPF, gate and compression
- 32 stereo-linkable input channels
- 4 stereo-linkable return channels*
28 output busses with 4-band PEQ + HPF/LPF, 31-band GEQ, comp/limiter and alignment delay
- 14 stereo-linkable aux sends
- 6 stereo-linkable matrix busses
- 6 stereo-linkable subgroups*
- Main L/R busses
- 6 VCAs and 6 mute groups
- 3 stereo FX processors with dedicated sends and returns
- Full I/O routing with A/B sources per channel
- Modern and Vintage options per processor
MASTER FADER CONTROL APP
- Intuitive and easy to master
- Fast navigation with view groups and overview
- Quick setup with tons of factory and user-definable presets
- Access limiting prevents unwanted adjustments
- Complete offline operation
- Easy and frequent updates via App Store
* Dante expansion card coming soon (sold separately). Wi-Fi router and iPad required. Wi-Fi router, iPad, iPhone and/or iPod touch not included. Return channels and subgroups feature PEQ and compression.
iPad, iPhone and iPod touch are registered trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries