Hamstead has expanded its acclaimed guitar pedal lineup with the Comet: Interstellar Driver — an out-of-this-world gain stompbox that can elevate your tone to new sonic heights, and beyond! Perfect for enhancing the sound any amplifier, the Comet can serve as an "always on" preamp, a boutique-style overdrive, or even a creamy fuzz thanks to its impressive gain structure and unique features that give you plenty to play with.
Versatile Overdrive with an Original Voice
Hamstead's Comet pedal covers a lot of sonic territory. Representing the British brand's pursuit to take traditional analogue drive circuitry further, the Comet can be moulded from classic-sounding overdrive with a vocal mid-range, right through to thick and saturated fuzz!
Both 'Transparent' and 'Character' drive tones are accessed via a deceptively simple, but incredibly powerful switch. These modes let you experiment with different flavours of gain, with the former working in an "additive" way whereby the pedal retains much of the character of your unaffected amp tone. However, you can make use of the intuitive 2-band EQ (Bass and Treble controls) for any complementary tone-sculpting.
Drive, EQ & Gain Structure
The EQ/Drive switch which sits right at the heart of Comet provides two distinct tonal paths. By selecting DRV>EQ or EQ>DRV, you not only change the order of the drive and EQ circuits, but also the type of clipping and gain structure circuitry.
The DRV>EQ position gives you a very dynamic and transparent clipping circuit and places the EQ after the drive circuit, for studio-like EQ manipulation. The EQ>DRV mode moves the EQ in front of a more raw, yet organic clipping style that boosts the input gain into the drive circuit.
Global Gain & Tone Control
To push the circuit even harder and into high-gain territory — Hamstead added an extra gear. Selectable via an internal switch, the 'Hi-Gain' mode opens up heavy crunch and distortion tones perfect for hard rock and even stoner metal.
While the Comet is voiced to work excellently with any guitar or bass setups straight out of the box, this extra flexibility is perfect for players who really like to fine-tune and find their "sound". With the internal 'Hi-Cut' pot too, you can tailor the high frequencies to suit any rig or tonal preference.
- All-analogue design
- Incredibly versatile tone-shaping from a simple control set
- 'Transparent' and 'Character' drive voices
- Active EQ with +/-15dB of clean treble and bass boost & cut up to 30dB of level boost
- 'High Gain' mode (via an internal switch)
- Global 'Hi Cut' adjustment (via an internal pot)
- Silent optical switching and TheGigRig’s OptoKick footswitch, for excellent reliability
Multifunction EQ/Drive Switch
- Changes the order of the Drive & EQ circuits
- Switches between two distinct clipping circuits
- Adjusts the gain structure for a wide range of drive sounds
- Dimensions: 70 (W) x 130 (D) x 65 (H) mm
- Weight: 525 g (1.16 lbs)
- Power: 9-12 V DC (Centre Negative)
- Current Draw: 65 mA
- Input Impedance: 500 kΩ
- Output Impedance: < 300 Ω