Book a video appointment
Buying a premium guitar at the moment is a tricky experience. However, fear not! Our new Guitar Gallery specialists (Paul, and Paul), are on-hand to help talk you through your purchase, make recommendations and give you the confidence to make the right decision.
With over 30 combined years of boutique and rare guitar sales between them, the Pauls really know their stuff and can help you choose, or track down that special piece you’re looking for.
Click here to book your video appointment now.
When it was introduced in the 1960s, the Firebird shattered preconceptions of the electric guitar. Inspired by the iconic tailfins and alluring curves of American automobiles of the time, it's earned its place in Rock 'n' Roll history. In 1965, it was reintroduced with a flipped body shape, a lightweight set-neck construction and, most eye-catching of all, a Vibrola tailpiece. Gibson Custom Shop have faithfully recreated this deep-cut from the vault – a truly unforgettable playing experience.
Body & Neck
The non-reverse Firebird’s body is solid Mahogany, and as with a lot of Gibson's core models, it boasts luxurious resonance and weighty low-end emphasis. The nitro lacquer VOS finish offers that distinct old-school shimmer and tops up the resonant sustain even more.
The neck is also Mahogany, and has a 24.75" scale length with an authentic ’65 slim C profile – thinner than some ‘60s profiles, but still familiar territory for traditionalists. An Indian Rosewood fretboard with acrylic dot inlays does little to distract from the radical/retro aesthetic, but offers silky-smooth playability that’s simply a dream.
Electronics & Hardware
A double-dose of Firebird Alnico V mini humbuckers pickups offer a glistening blues/rock tone with a beautifully dynamic break-up. Although these pickups are well-rounded and perfect for the Mahogany double-bill, they’ll get raunchy in no time with the right amount of distortion.
Arguably the headline feature is the Vibrola tailpiece, featuring a chrome finish as with the rest of the hardware appointments. The Vibrola’s action is firm and responsive, designed more for expressive pitch-bends than mid-solo wailing. This beautiful instrument is much of a sonic statement as it is a visual one.
- Body Shape: Non-Reverse Firebird
- Body Material: 1-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer VOS (Vintage Patina)
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '65 Slim C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Pearloid Dot
- Joint: Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Nickel
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Saddle Material: Nickel-plated Brass
- Tailpiece: Maestro Vibrola
- Pickguard: 3-Ply White/Black/White
- Truss Rod: 2-way Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: Black 1-Ply Gibson Hot-stamped
- Control Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Control Covers: Black
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Neck Pickup: Firebird Alnico V
- Bridge Pickup: Firebird Alnico V
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: Switchcraft
- Strings: 10-46
- Case: Custom Shop Black with Yellow Lining
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity