First introduced in 1958, the Gibson Explorer featured a radical, all new design that was years ahead of its time. Upon it's release though, Gibson only shipped nineteen units in the first year with the futuristic design dividing opinions! However, in the years since, the Explorer has become one of Gibson's more popular models with players such as James Hetfield (Metallica) and The Edge (U2) favouring it's unique design.
The Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Korina Explorer VOS is a faithful recreation of the original model with a level of authenticity and attention to detail that only the Gibson Custom Shop can offer. Finished in an authentic Nitrocellulose Lacquer (VOS), the 1958 Explorer will age beautifully over time.
The 1958 Explorer features a solid Korina body (no weight relief), delivering a focussed mid range tone, similar to that of Mahogany. The neck is also made from Korina and has an authentic 1958 Explorer profile to it. The neck, whilst verging on the thicker side, feels extremely comfortable and lends itself nicely to heavy rhythm playing. The 1958 Explorer features a one-piece Indian Rosewood fingerboard with a 12" radius, making fast runs and large string bends feel effortless.
Loaded with a pair of Gibson's Custombucker humbucker pickups, the 1958 Explorer is capable of delivering everything from sweet, soulful cleans to crushing, aggressive metal tones with ease. This versatile pickup is about as close as you can get to an original PAF humbucker and is found only in Gibson Custom models and cannot be purchased anywhere else.
With independent volume controls for each pickup and a universal tone control, there are a host of tonal options on hand, making the explorer so much more than just a metal guitar. By blending the two pickups, you can recreate some of the most iconic tones of all time with plenty of scope for you to create your own!
The 1958 Explorer features an historically accurate ABR-1 bridge and lightweight Aluminium stop bar tailpiece for rock solid tuning stability and intonation. A set of Kluson tuners with Celluloid tips further adds to the Explorer's authenticity whilst the True Historic mounting rings, pickup covers and control knobs provide the icing on the cake!
- Body Shape: Explorer
- Body Material: Korina
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer (VOS)
- Material: Korina
- Profile: 1958 Explorer
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: 1 Piece Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Reissue
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- Inlays: Pearloid Dots
- Joint: Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Aged Gold
- Tuner Plating: Aged Gold
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminium Stop Bar
- Tuning Machines: Kluson with Celluloid Tips
- Pickguard: '58 Explorer White 4-ply
- Truss Rod: Authentic 1950s No-Tube
- Truss Rod Cover: True Historic Black
- Control Knobs: True Historic Gold
- Control Covers: Brown Explorer
- Strap Buttons: 2 - Brass
- Mounting Rings: True Historic Black
- Pickup Covers: True Historic Aged Gold
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker
- Controls: 2 Volume, 1 Tone, 500K CTS Vintage Taper Potentiometers, Phone Book Capacitor
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: 1/4" Switchcraft
- Strings Gauge: .010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046
- Case: Historic Explorer Brown/Pink Hardshell Case
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity