Gallien Krueger amps might not be the first name you think of when you think bass but you might be surprised how many of your favourite bands have a GK locking down the low end of their sound. Flea uses them, Duff McKagan is on their artist list and Jazz legend Dave Holland has one to amplify his double bass. A quick look at the sheer variety of artists will give you a clue as to how versatile these amps are.
With heads, combos and cabs in a wide range of sizes and power outputs you’re sure to find a GK that fits your rig… or even replaces it.
The 2001 is the most powerful model in the RB head line. With 2 x 540-Watt and 2x50-Watt Horn Bi-Amps its ideal for the stage or the studio and you can easily fit it to a rack. This head takes up three rack spaces on a studio rack unit.
So what are the highlights?
- Drive channel with independent EQ and volume for moderate grit or full grind.
- Balanced DI with level control, Pre/Post and Ground Lift switches to feed the house, Tuner output, FX Loop for connecting outboard accessories on the front. And two ¼ inch speaker jacks and two twist lock speaker connectors to ensure reliable and safe cabinet connections, mounted in the rear.
- Unique Horn Bi-Amp system sends the high frequencies to the horn through a separate 50W amplifier. This has many advantages: The horn level is controlled from the front panel. The horn is not overpowered by the larger amp so failures are reduced. When the woofer amp hits the rails (growl) the horn stays clean.
- Two 540 watt power amps allow bridged or dual mono operation for expanded cabinet and speaker load options.
- Boost control adds tube like harmonics and signature "GK growl" using G.I.V.E. technology.
- Dual rail Analog power amp and toroidal transformer provide the current required to control the speakers at high volume.
- Inherited from the 800RB, this unique design varies the EQ bandwidth to retain a musical response even at extreme settings.
Here’s what GK have to say about this head
GK’s RB Series has been setting the standard for analog bass amplification for over three decades. G.I.V.E. Technology (Gate Induced Valve Effect) is integrated into the design of all RB Series heads allowing them to deliver a warm, punchy tone with a fast transient response that not only sounds better, it feels better.GK’s renowned voicing filters and intuitive four band active EQ make it simple to dial in a great sound.
The unique Horn Bi-Amp system sends the high frequencies to the horn through a separate 50W amplifier. This has many advantages: The horn level is controlled from the front panel. The horn is not overpowered by the larger amp so failures are reduced. When the woofer amp hits the rails (growl) the horn stays clean.