Friedman are known for creating high quality analogue valve amplifiers for rock players across the world. They may not be the first name you think of when it comes to FRFR cabs to match with your digital modeller. But after being left uninspired by the alternatives today they decided to create an FRFR cabinet that kept the sound of your digital unit and made it usable live while still having the response of a real valve amplifier. The ASC-12 may just be one of the best FRFR style speakers available to guitarists today.
2 Way Design
Unlike a guitar cabinet which can colour the sound of your amp, the goal here was for it to be as flat as possible so you get the same sound through front of house and on stage. So when it came to speaker choice they wanted something that would respond like a guitar amp but without any of the colour. The guys at Celestion had them covered though with a 12" speaker featuring a 2.5" voice coil and a PETP Film Compression driver with a 1.75" voice coil. These two drivers sound amazing in tandem and perfectly reproduce that guitar amp feel.
500w BiAmp Power
Because of how valve amplifiers work you don't actually need that much power to get very loud. With solid state bi-amp designs like this however you need a bit more grunt. So with 500w of power you can easily be heard in even large rooms with busy stages. Plus the best point is that because it has its power amp built in you know it is matching
Here's what Friedman say about the ASM-12
The Friedman ASC-12 powered monitor was designed and voiced for use with today’s guitar amp modelers and profilers including Fractal Audio Axe-Fx, Kemper Profiler, Line 6 HD Series and others. The ASC-12 delivers rich authentic tones, allowing you get the most out of these systems in live use and playback applications. The ASC-12 is identical to the ASM-12 electronically, the only difference being that the ASC-12's shape makes it more useable as a regular rectangular speaker cabinet (IE: with your amp modeler on top the cabinet it looks like any other amp head/speaker cab set-up), whereas the ASM-12 functions more like an angled floor monitor or mounts to a pole.
The ASC-12 features a Celestion 12 loudspeaker with a 2.5 edge wound voce coil and a premium Celestion high frequency compression driver. At the heart of the ASC-12 is a robust 500w Bi-Amp Class-G amplifier that is anything but digital. This proprietary amplifier design delivers rich, full tone and a wide frequency response making it suited for backline, stage monitoring or even as your main PA speaker.
Key features include: Bi-Amp power module with high efficiency Class G low frequency amplification with a high current output stage and custom signal processing; clip/limit, thermal, and short circuit protection; line level output for linking multiple speakers ; optimized acoustic designs using a PETP film compression driver diaphragm; heat vented low frequency drivers; and a hand crafted in the USA, sturdy Baltic birch construction. Controls include level knob, low-cut filter switch, ground lift and power switches.
The Friedman ASC-12 powered loudspeaker was designed using advanced acoustic and audio techniques with premium components, comprehensive protection circuitry, and robust construction to provide years of consistent, reliable performance.
- Configuration: 12” 2-Way Active Stage Monitor for use with modelers/profilers
- Assembly: Made in USA using premium worldwide components
- Low Frequency Transducer: Celestion - 12” speaker with 2.5” edge wound voice coil
- High Frequency Transducer: Celestion PETP film compression driver with 1.75” voice coil
- Frequency Range: 50Hz - 20kHz
- Frequency Response: 58Hz -18kHz
- High Frequency Dispersion: 75° conical
- Maximum peak SPL: 129dB
- Power Output: LF: 270Wrms Class G / HF: 80Wrms Class AB+B
- Maximum total burst power*: 500W
- Input Impedance: 20k Ohm Balanced / 10k Ohm Unbalanced
- Electronic Crossover: 4th order
- Low Cut Filer (switchable): 3rd order Butterworth @ 100Hz
- Controls: Level knob , Low-cut filter switch, Ground lift switch
- Power switch, AC fuse, 115/230V switch Indicators Power Power, Protect, Limit, Signal
- Cooling: Convection
- Amplifier Protection: Short circuit, Clip-limiter, Overheat mute
- SOA output stage, Driver DC protection
- Subsonic filter, Turn-on mute and soft ramp
- Turn-on inrush current limiting
- Power Consumption @: 1.7A/0.85A 115Vac/230Vac
- (1/8 power pink noise): 150VA
- Connectors: Balanced female XLR input / Balanced male XLR link output
- Input Sensitivity **: 775mV (0dBu)
- Enclosure: Black Warnex® painted, Baltic birch plywood construction
- Hardware: Strap handle, Rubber feet / Rubber Strips
- Pole mounting cup, Detachable black grille
- Dimensions: 21” H x 26.25” W x 11.25” D
- Weight: 59 lbs.