The Fender Professional Jaguar is a streamlined version of a guitar design from long ago. It no longer has all of the roller switches, but rather an easy to use 4-way selector switch along with Michael Frank-designed single-coil V-Mod Jaguar pickups for vintage Jaguar tones.
As with all Jags, it has a slightly shorter scale length making it easy to fly up and down the fretboard and the narrow-tall frets and taper neck profile make playing this guitar super easy.
The Rosewood fretboard also gives you a bit more depth and richness than Maple would.
The American Professional range has replaced the American Standards. Made in America with high-end hardware and each one comes with an official Fender hardshell case. There has never before been a run-of-the-mill American Jaguar so this is a new venture for Fender.
The single-coils on the Professional Jaguar were designed by Michael Frank for vintage Jag sounds. The bridge has a lot of bite while the neck will give you that rounded tone you'd expect.
The 4 way toggle activates your pickups in the following way:
1 - Bridge pickup
2 - Both pickups in parallel
3 - Neck pickup
4 - Both pickups in series
When both pickups are activated, the toggle on the top horn of the guitar will act as a phase switch.
The American Professional models also have the Treble Bleed Circuit which keeps the trebles pronounced, even when turning the volume down.
The neck shape is the new Deep C profile which is a tapered neck. This means it’s thinner at the headstock end where you play chords and may want to get your thumb over the top to fret the E-String. The neck flattens out the higher up you go to make faster playing a bit easier and a bit more fluid.
The Narrow-Tall frets make bending a little bit easier as they don’t provide as much friction or resistance as vintage frets do. And because they’re slightly narrower, it gives the actually fret spacing a little more room. It’s an incremental change, but every little helps…
Here's what Fender say about the Jaguar
An eye-catchingly adventurous design—an exquisite exercise in chrome, plastic and wood—the Jaguar guitar’s delightfully offkilter aesthetics and unique sound made it a darling of underground artists from the ‘70s to today. Though it was the pinnacle of guitar technology when it was released in 1962, time (and technology) marches on so we updated the Jaguar with modern features and materials, hot-rodding it for today’s players.
The result? The American Professional Jaguar—a dangerous instrument with bite. Developed by Michael Frank, the brand-new V-Mod Jaguar pickup design expands the guitar’s sonic palette with hot, vintage-informed tone delivering plenty of midrange punch and definition. Retain high end clarity when adjusting the volume control, thanks to the new treble-bleed tone circuit that lets your tone shine through in all its glory. The new modern “Deep C”-shaped neck profile feels just right in your hand while the narrow-tall frets make it easy to bend strings accurately and play perfectly intonated chords. The improved tremolo and bridge incorporate a screw-in arm and brass Mustang saddles that stabilize the strings while adding a touch of sonic
zip to your tone.
The best of yesterday and today, the American Professional Jaguar is the latest form of electric inspiration from Fender. Step up and stake your claim to a legend.
- Series: American Pro
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane
- Neck: Maple, Modern “Deep C”
- Neck Finish:
- Satin Urethane Finish on Back of Neck with Gloss Urethane
- Headstock Face (Maple), Satin Urethane Finish on Back, Gloss
- Urethane Finish on Front (Rosewood)
- Fingerboard: Maple or Rosewood, 9.5” (241 mm)
- Frets: 22, Narrow Tall
- Position Inlays: Black Dot (Maple), White Dot (Rosewood)
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.685” (42.8 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Fender Standard Cast/Sealed Staggered
- Scale Length: 24” (610 mm)
- 9.5 inch Radius Jazzmaster/Jaguar Bridge with Vintage-Style
- Floating Tremolo with Tremolo Lock Button and Screw-in Tremolo
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black (705, 776), 3-Ply Mint Green (700), 3-Ply Parchment
- Pickups: V-Mod Single-Coil Jaguar (Bridge/Neck)
- Pickup Switching:
- 4-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and
- Neck Pickups (In Parallel), Position 3. Neck Pickup, Position 4.
- Neck and Bridge Pickups (In Series)
- Special Electronics: 2-Position Slide-Switch for In/Out of Phase When Both Pickups are On
- Controls: Master Volume with Treble-Bleed, Master Tone
- Control Knobs: Skirted Amp Knobs
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Strings: Fender® USA 250L, NPS (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Case: Fender Official Hard Case