Fender undoubtedly make some of the most popular and recognisable guitars of all time, brandished by countless players worldwide for decades and helping to shape modern music as we know it. So what happens when you take such iconic designs and flip them on their heads? Say hello to the Fender FSR Parallel Universe range; a series of bold and unique reworkings of some of your favourite Fender instruments!
The Jazz Tele is striking to say the very least. We all know a Telecaster when we see it; this guitar somehow manages to break the mould, and it takes a couple of glances before you realise what it is. So what's changed?
Body & Neck
The wood of choice for the body is ash, known for emphasising the top-end and bass-friendly sounds for a scooped-mid sound. The neck is maple with a Deep C profile, for a typically Tele twang with plenty to grip on to. A rosewood fingerboard grounds the trebly tone of the ash & maple combination, and makes for a beautifully smooth playability - this is complemented perfectly by a satin finish on the back of the neck.
Electronics & Hardware
The body and neck seem to be where the Telecaster association ends in this case. With the electronics & hardware, Jazz becomes the operative word.
They've loaded this model with two American Vintage '65 Jazzmaster Singlecoils, known for being simultaneously transparent and extremely responsive. The bridge position delivers a crystal-clear attack without being intrusive, whereas the neck position offers a weighty chime that'll respond well to cleans and overdrives alike.
They've also fitted a Jazzmaster tremolo and bridge - by this point, the Telecaster formula is more or less left in the dust! You've got classic surf-style vibrato at your disposal, and paired with white witch hat knobs and a 3-ply pickguard, this instrument has a uniquely retro flavour while being totally fresh!
Here's what Fender say about the Jazz Tele:
They call it show business for a reason—you have to make a visual splash, so we made something you’ve never seen before, the limited edition Jazz Tele. Was it made for surf, punk, jazz or country? Who cares — play whatever music you want on it and it’ll be able to keep up, thanks to the vintage-inspired sound, modern feel and sensational aesthetics.
Powered by a pair of American Vintage ’65 singlecoil Jazzmaster pickups, this guitar has Fender’s legendary sound. From the lacquer-finished ash body and custom-designed 3-ply pickguard to the American Professional Jazzmaster tremolo and bridge, American Vintage tuning machines and white “witch hat” knobs, every element of this guitar was designed for prime performance and visual impact. The “Modern C”-shaped American Original Jazzmaster neck sports a 9.5”-radius rosewood fingerboard for enhanced playability, along with 21 narrow-tall frets and a bone nut. Other stylish touches include a “floral” Fender logo on the headstock and a “Limited Edition” neck plate.
A daring instrument for bold players, The Jazz Tele is your chance to grab a piece of historic Fender style and make it yours. Includes a hardshell case and Certificate of Authenticity.
- Series: Limited Edition
- Body Material: Ash
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Maple, Modern “Deep C”
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer Front, Satin Back
- Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” (241 mm)
- Frets: 21, Narrow Tall
- Position Inlays: White Pearloid Dot
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Single Line “Fender Deluxe”
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Bridge: Jazzmaster/Jaguar Bridge with Nickel-Plated Brass Mustang Saddles set to 9.5 inch Radius and Vintage-Style Floating Tremolo with Tremolo Lock Button and Screw-In Tremolo Arm
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
- Pickups: Pure Vintage ‘65 Single-Coil Jazzmaster (Bridge/Neck)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge And Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Control Knobs: White “Witch Hat”
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Strings: Fender USA 250L, NPS (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Elite Molded Case