Joe Bonamassa is a modern blues-rock icon, known for his tasteful pentatonic chops and glorious guitar tones. However, the man from New York is also famed for his massive collection of vintage guitars - the majority of which he keeps at his "Nerdville" home/museum.
With such a large assortment of premium guitars from the golden age of guitar building, Joe's favourite instruments must be truly special. And one of his most cherished guitars is a 1960 Les Paul Standard, which he famously purchased from Norman's Rare Guitars in California. The Epiphone "Norm Burst" 1960 Les Paul Standard Outfit is the sixth signature model made for Bonamassa, which is directly modelled after his rare 1960 Les Paul made during the final year of the LP Standard’s original production run.
The instrument features powerful Epiphone ProBucker humbuckers, an AA Maple Cap with Flame Veneer top and Mallory tone caps to recapture that old-school LP sound. This guitar also includes a “Lifton”-style case and a hand-signed Certificate of Authenticity!
Here's what Epiphone says about the Joe Bonamassa Signature 1960 Les Paul Standard Outfit:
The Story of the “Norm Burst”
Grammy nominee Joe Bonamassa has become renowned world-wide as of the most gifted guitarists of his generation as well as a passionate collector of the original Les Paul Standard, perhaps the most coveted vintage instrument of the modern era. The original LP Standard was produced at the Epiphone & Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan from 1958-1960 and today, original models are sold for $250,000 or more.
The Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard “Norm Burst” Outfit is a stunning recreation of Joe’s vintage 1960 LP Standard found at Norm’s Rare Guitars in Tarzana, California. Joe dubbed the Les Paul a “Norm Burst” because when it was purchased, the nearly 60 year old guitar appeared brand new--all of the instrument’s original dealer paperwork and tags were still tied around the headstock. Joe remarked that of all his vintage LP Standards, the “Norm Burst” stands out as “the cleanest vintage Les Paul Standard I’ve ever seen.” It also happens to be sequentially numbered to Joe’s other Les Paul Standard from 1960 which he nicknamed “The Runt” and was found far from Norm’s in South Africa!
AA Flame Maple Cap and “Norm Burst” Finish
The Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Standard “Norm Burst” Outfit is closely modeled after Joe’s vintage 1960 LP Standard and has a classic Les Paul profile with a Mahogany body, cream LP-style pickguard, and a AA Flame Maple Cap in a Heritage Cherry “Norm Burst” finish like Joe’s original. The Mahogany neck has a SlimTaper 60’s profile with an Indian Laurel fingerboard, a 24.75” scale, a GraphTech nut, 22 medium frets, a 12” radius, and Les Paul-style trapezoid inlays. The small sloped dovewing headstock has a replica of Joe’s signature on the back in gold silkscreen.
Joe’s “Norm Burst” Les Paul is powered by Epiphone ProBucker humbucker pickups which feature the same components and materials as vintage humbuckers from the late 1950s including sand cast Alnico II magnets, 18% Nickel Silver unit bases and covers, and high quality 4 conductor lead wire. Each ProBucker humbucker is also vacuum wax potted to eliminate microphonics. Controls include an Epiphone 3-way pickup selector with an amber toggle cap and volume and tone controls for the bridge and neck, plus gold Top Hat knobs with nickel plated dial pointers. All controls have 50s style wiring with Mallory tone caps.
Rock Solid Epiphone Hardware
The Joe Bonamassa “Norm Burst” comes with Epiphone’s rock solid nickel hardware including an Epiphone non-rotating 1/4" output jack and a LockTone ABR bridge and Stopbar tailpiece. Turning is fast and reliable with Epiphone Deluxe “Tulip” keys with an 18:1 tuning ratio. Included is a hard case modeled after the original 50s era “Lifton” Les Paul cases. Each case is decorated with Joe’s “Nerdville, CA” artwork along with a Certificate of Authenticity hand-signed by Joe.
- Based on Joe’s favourite vintage Les Paul from Norm’s Rare Guitars: “The cleanest I’ve seen!”
- AA Maple Cap with Flame Veneer top and Mahogany body
- Epiphone ProBucker humbuckers and Mallory tone caps
- Original '50s-style wiring
- Includes “Lifton” '50s-style hard case and hand-signed Certificate of Authenticity
- Top: Maple Cap AA Flame Veneer
- Body: Mahogany
- Neck: Mahogany
- Neck Profile: '60s SlimTaper
- Fingerboard: Indian Laurel
- Fingerboard Inlay: Les Paul-Style Trapezoid
- Frets: 22, Medium
- Nut: GraphTech
- Radius: 12”
- Headstock: Small Sloped Dovewing
- Back Of Headstock: “Joe Bonamassa” Signature in Gold Silkscreen
- Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker 2 (Nickel Cover)
- Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker 3 (Nickel Cover)
- Controls: Neck Volume, Neck Tone, Bridge Volume, Bridge Tone, 3-Way Toggle w/ Amber Cap
- Wiring: '50s-Style Les Paul Wiring with Mallory Tone Caps
- Hardware: Nickel
- Pickguard: Cream
- Knobs: Gold Top Hat with Nickel-Plated Dial Pointers
- Bridge: LockTone ABR
- Tailpiece: Stopbar
- Output Jack: Epiphone Non-Rotating 1/4"
- Machine Heads: Epiphone Deluxe “Tulip” Key 18:1 Ratio
- Hard Shell “Lifton”-Style Case with Bonamassa “Nerdville, CA” Art
- Hand-Signed Certificate of Authenticity
- Finish: Heritage Cherry “Norm Burst”