The Echo Fix EF-X2 takes the highly desirable analogue tape echo sound of vintage units and combines it with modern features and reliability to create powerful yet warm-sounding tape echo for the current player. Featuring real tape delay, switchable preamp, real spring reverb, as well as a digital reverb and chorus effects, there are a huge number of sounds to explore.
Echo Fix have been repairing and servicing vintage tape echo units for over a decade, so they know what goes into making a great sounding unit. Using their intricate knowledge of vintage tape echos Echo Fix have created their own model that takes the unmistakable classic tape echo sound and mixes it with modern craftsmanship and features.
Real Tape Echo
Real tape delay is a beloved sound; its warm, organic tone can be heard on countless recordings. Digital delays often attempt to emulate this sound but nothing really compares to the real thing. Thanks to their experience repairing and servicing vintage tape echo units, Echo Fix know what goes into nailing the classic tape sound as well as how to make it more reliable.
3 years worth of designing, prototyping, and testing went into the EF-X2 and it certainly paid off. Echo Fix custom balances motors to their exact specification and even had custom tape heads manufactured to ensure the best possible tone. They also designed their own tape loop that’s built to last for a long time. The EF-X2 features 3 tape heads that can be used in any combination as well as a Sound On Sound head that can be switched over the top for layering your playing.
The EF-X2 does more than just offer real tape delay in a box. Like some classic tape echos (like the Space Echo), the EF-X2 features a real built-in spring reverb for even more authentic vintage sounds. Less traditional are the DSP (digital signal processing) reverb and chorus effects. The EF-X2 allows you to switch back and forth between a digital reverb and a chorus effect. Either digital effect can be used and blended with the spring reverb which opens up a wide range of tones when used in combination with the tape echo. From adding a subtle sense of space to achieving huge, lush ambient sounds, the EF-X2 is an incredibly versatile unit. There’s also a motor switch which you can use to get a tape slowing down effect or to conserve the tape when you’re only using the reverb/chorus effects.
The EF-X2 also features a switchable preamp. You can choose between either a modern FET Line input or a vintage FET EP preamp for a more classic preamp tone. The EF-X2 has separate inputs and level controls for instrument-level and line-level applications and there’s a balanced input and output on the back. This means you can use the EF-X2 with guitars, synths, and other instruments.
- Four core functions - Tape echo, Real Spring Reverb, DSP Reverb/Chorus and Preamp.
- Switchable preamp between Vintage FET EP guitar preamp and Modern FET Line input preamp (1Meg impedance). Can be switched using an ABY pedal (not included).
- DSP Reverb and Spring Reverb blend setting. Also allows Spring Reverb and Chorus blend.
- Switch for changing back and forth between reverb and chorus
- Separate inputs and level controls for instrument-level and line-level applications
- Balanced input and output at the rear
- Three echo playback heads, and a Sound On Sound Head giving 14 head combination settings in total.
- Adjust the echo's Time and Feedback with Control Voltages (CV 0-5 volts) and compatible Expression Pedals.
- Bass and Treble control of the echo signal.
- Motor ON/Switch for tape slow down effect or to conserve tape when only using the EF-X2's reverb or preamp.
- Mute the reverb or echo signal with a dual footswitch.
- Comes with a worldwide-compatible, 100-240v power supply.
- Durable design
- 2-Year Echo Fix Warranty.
- High-quality scratch-resistant front panel.
- 2 Tape loops supplied with each unit