The deceptively understated ML1 Standard was the first ever Chapman Guitars model. Designed in collaboration with Rob Chapman's online followers, it combines modern design with tonal versatility at an affordable price point. It's proved to be a winning formula, becoming one of Chapman's most popular models on the market! Better still, the V2 models are made in a new factory - baked tonewoods for improved resonance and durability, improved rolled fretboard edges and US-made pickup magnets. They're onto a winner...
New and Improved Pickups
All V2 Chapman instruments are equipped with brand new pickups made in-house in their new factory. Unlike their previous pickup designs, these feature new magnets sourced specially from the US. Many guitar pickups use generic magnets, the same that you might find in cars or household appliances - these are tailor-made for use in guitars. If you thought the previous humbuckers and single coils sounded great, you’ll love the fresh tone of these precisely-wound models.
Chapman have re-voiced the pickups to provide crisper articulation, a more pronounced midrange and smoother low and high-end frequencies. You’re guaranteed to get studio sound quality and brilliant definition in live use.
Body & Neck
Chapman chose Ash for the body of the ML1 Standard. Used in some of the first solid-body electric guitars available to the public back in the '50s, Ash has earned its place among tonewood royalty. Known for an even resonance but with a slightly scooped midrange, it's perfect for any playing style, from blues to indie. It's also got a cool pronounced grain that shines through the transparent finish for a subtle organic aesthetic.
The neck is satin-finished Maple; a bright, snappy top-end and a silky smooth playing experience. You'll be able to navigate the full range of the neck with ease - the C-shape will feel familiar whatever your playing style, and the volute will ensure excellent durability.
Hardware & Electronics
Going for the SSS configuration, Chapman have loaded this model with 3 Venus Witch Zero single coil pickups. Featuring Alnico V magnets, they offer a brilliant twang that perfectly complements the classic Ash and Maple combination. Alnico V magnets are known for offering slightly higher outputs than their counterparts, which gives the classic single coil tone a modern edge.
Chrome and nickel hardware finish off the aesthetics of the ML1 in brilliantly old-school fashion. As the term 'traditional' might suggest, this guitar channels classic solid-body design, but without compromising the modern playability Chapman guitars are known for.
- Headstock: Straight heritage headstock
- Neck: Maple with satin finish
- Neck type: C shape recessed bolt-on neck with volute
- Top: Ash veneer on flat top with gloss finish
- Body: Ash with gloss finish
- Body carves: Arm carve, front lower spoon cut, rear tummy cut, rear lower spoon cut, rear heel contour
- Fretboard: Maple fretboard with rolled edges
- Binding: Reveal
- Frets: 22 jumbo nickel frets
- Fret markers: Black side dots and black front dot inlays
- 12th fret inlay: Black infinity
- Scale length: 648mm (~25.5")
- Tuners: Chapman classic closed (18:1 gearing)
- String nut: Graph tech tusq nut
- Truss rod: Dual action
- Bridge: Chapman 2-point tremolo with brass block with brass saddles
- Neck pickup Chapman Venus Witch Zero single coil, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 6.5k ohms
- Middle pickup Chapman Venus Witch Zero single coil, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 6.5k ohms
- Bridge pickup Chapman Venus Witch Zero single coil, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 7.78k ohms
- Pickup switch: 5 way blade switch
- Controls: Master volume (250k), master tone (250k)
- Strap buttons: Chapman classic strap buttons