Eric Johnson is one of those guitarists that simply doesn't need an introduction. He's one of the worlds remaining guitar heroes and is famed for being an incredibly fussy guitarist and having one of the best ears around when it comes to choosing gear which is why we know that the Eric Johnson Signature Thinline Strat is going to be such a hit!
Firstly, it’s the first Strat to feature a full-blown F-Hole and when it was recently featured on one of his music videos, he almost broke the internet with the guitar community going crazy over this stunning new guitar. The F-hole creates an 'airiness' that you simply wouldn't get from a solidbody guitar and it adds depth and sustain to the tone.
It’s got a “57 Soft V shape Maple neck, vintage tuners and his specially voiced Eric Johnson singlecoils which are fat and clear sounding. These powerful pickups are a large part of his tone and are the same pickups that were used in his first signature Strat.
Everything on this guitar has been specified by Mr. Johnson himself and is an exact replica of the instrument that he uses to get his Strat-crossed-with-a-hollowbody tones.
Here's what Fender say about the Eric Johnson Thinline Strat
Bringing to life the vision of one of the most respected guitarists in the world, the Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster Thinline is the perfect marriage between a semi-hollow body and a traditional Stratocaster. Johnson is famous in guitar circles for questing for his ideal tone—liquid and articulate, it perfectly complements the playing style that earned his place in the modern guitar pantheon.
In 2015 he approached us to co-design a lightweight, resonant instrument that combines the tones of his favorite semi-hollowbody guitars and his Stratocaster. Two years later, we hit the formula for tonal nirvana with the Eric Johnson Signature Stratocaster Thinline.We finished the custom-chambered body with nitrocellulose lacquer, allowing the wood to “breathe” with character. The three single-coil Stratocaster pickups were specially voiced to meet Johnson’s specifications, and are mounted to the semi-hollow, two-piece alder body with countersunk screws for even more vibration transfer. The comfortable “’57 Soft V”-shaped quartersawn maple neck bears a 12”-radius maple fingerboard and 21 medium-jumbo frets for enhanced playability.
Other custom features include a vintage-style tremolo with silver-painted block, ’57-style string recesses, thin headstock with vintage-style staggered tuning machines, ’57-style parchment pickguard and “ashtray” bridge cover.An R&D tour de force, the Eric Johnson Stratocaster Thinline is the first semi-hollow Strat that combines custom chambers with traditional Stratocaster arm and body contours.
- Body Material:Semi-Hollow Alder
- Body Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck:Maple, Soft “V” Shape
- Neck Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard:Maple, 12” (305 mm)Frets:21, Medium Jumbo
- Position Inlays:Black Dots
- Nut (Material/Width):Bone, 1.650” (42 mm)
- Tuning Machines:Vintage-Style Staggered
- Scale Length:25.5” (648 mm)
- Bridge:6-Saddle Vintage-Style Synchronized Tremolo
- Pickguard:1-Ply Parchment
- Pickups:Specially Voiced Eric Johnson Single-Coil with Countersunk Mount-ing Screws (Bridge/Middle/Neck)
- Pickup Switching:5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
- Controls:Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
- Control Knobs:Aged White
- Hardware Finish:Nickel/Chrome
- Strings:Fender® USA, NPS, (.010-.046 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag:Deluxe Blonde Hardshell with Black Ends