The Flat Light from Old Blood Noise Endeavours could be considered the saviour of the flanger bloodline. The effect has been around longer than many, used from the '60s onwards, and is instantly recognisable - but widely considered an acquired taste.
The Flat Light aims to cover the entire spectrum of flange sounds, offering slow, resonant swirls to eerie delayed wobbles and everything in between. The flange effect isn't considered the most subtle, known for being capable of warping your tone beyond recognition, but the Flat Light can tame it into a truly applicable effect that'll suit almost any playing style.
With three distinct modes (Detune, resonate and echo) and four controls to choose from, there's plenty of tonal legroom. This pedal really does allow you to hone in on the flange sound that suits you, even offering expression pedal connectivity and a momentary 'tilt' footswitch that'll maximise the rate or shift settings - for that truly deranged sound you've been after!
Here's what Old Blod Noise Endeavours have to say about the Flat Light:
From pitch shifting flanger to highly resonant metallic sounds to reverb-like delays and recognisable swooshes, the Flat Light will induce motion to your sound no matter where it sits in your signal path!
- Three modes of flanger: Detune (shimmering pitch shift), Resonate (highly resonant multiflange), and Echo (reverb-like delay)
- Four controls to shape the sound: Rate to set rate, Depth to set depth, Shift to affect the something extra, and Mix to go from 100% dry to 100% wet
- A Tilt footswitch to momentarily maximize Rate or Shift controls
- Expression jack for external control of Rate or Shift parameters
- Internal trimpot to control output level
- Relay bypass switching and standard 9VDC center negative power