Book a video appointment
Buying a premium guitar at the moment is a tricky experience. However, fear not! Our new Guitar Gallery specialists (Paul, and Paul), are on-hand to help talk you through your purchase, make recommendations and give you the confidence to make the right decision.
With over 30 combined years of boutique and rare guitar sales between them, the Pauls really know their stuff and can help you choose, or track down that special piece you’re looking for.
Click here to book your video appointment now.
The Flying V was introduced in the 1950s, a time when Sci-Fi was the flavour of the moment. This radical design then reintroduced by Gibson in 1967, this time with a Vibrola tailpiece – even more of a head-turner. Now Gibson’s Custom Shop have faithfully recreated this deep-cut from the vault – a truly unforgettable playing experience.
Body & Neck
The body is solid Mahogany, and as with a lot of Gibson's core models, it boasts luxurious resonance and weighty low-end emphasis. The nitro lacquer finish offers a stunning shimmer and tops up the resonant sustain even more.
The neck is also Mahogany, and has a 24.75" scale length with an authentic ’67 medium C profile – just the right amount of chunk. An Indian Rosewood fretboard with acrylic dot inlays does little to distract from the radical/retro aesthetic, but offers silky-smooth playability that’s simply a dream.
Electronics & Hardware
A double-dose of medium-output Alnico III Custombuckers offer a balanced, warm tone with a beautifully dynamic break-up. Although these pickups are well-rounded and perfect for the Mahogany double-bill, they’ll get raunchy in no time with the right amount of distortion.
Arguably the headline feature is the Vibrola tailpiece, featuring a chrome finish as with the rest of the hardware appointments. The Vibrola’s action is firm and responsive, designed more for expressive pitch-bends than mid-solo wailing. This beautiful instrument is much of a sonic statement as it is a visual one.
- Body Shape: Flying V
- Body Material: 2-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gloss
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '67 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Pearloid Dot
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Chrome
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Reissue Double Ring
- Pickguard: 3-Ply White/Black/White
- Truss Rod: 2-way Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: White Gibson Hot-stamped
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Pickup Covers: Chrome
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico III
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico III
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 1 500K CTS Tone Pot Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: Switchcraft
- Strings: 10-46
- Case: Custom Shop Hardshell
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity