The Flying V was introduced in the 1950s, a time when Sci-Fi was the flavour of the moment. This radical design then reintroduced by Gibson in 1967, this time with a Vibrola tailpiece – even more of a head-turner. Now Gibson’s Custom Shop have faithfully recreated this deep-cut from the vault – a truly unforgettable playing experience.
Body & Neck
The body is solid Mahogany, and as with a lot of Gibson's core models, it boasts luxurious resonance and weighty low-end emphasis. The nitro lacquer finish offers a stunning shimmer and tops up the resonant sustain even more.
The neck is also Mahogany, and has a 24.75" scale length with an authentic ’67 medium C profile – just the right amount of chunk. An Indian Rosewood fretboard with acrylic dot inlays does little to distract from the radical/retro aesthetic, but offers silky-smooth playability that’s simply a dream.
Electronics & Hardware
A double-dose of medium-output Alnico III Custombuckers offer a balanced, warm tone with a beautifully dynamic break-up. Although these pickups are well-rounded and perfect for the Mahogany double-bill, they’ll get raunchy in no time with the right amount of distortion.
Arguably the headline feature is the Vibrola tailpiece, featuring a chrome finish as with the rest of the hardware appointments. The Vibrola’s action is firm and responsive, designed more for expressive pitch-bends than mid-solo wailing. This beautiful instrument is much of a sonic statement as it is a visual one.
- Body Shape: Flying V
- Body Material: 2-Piece Solid Mahogany
- Weight Relief: None
- Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer Gloss
- Material: Solid Mahogany
- Profile: Authentic '67 Medium C-Shape
- Scale Length: 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material: Indian Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Number Of Frets: 22
- Frets: Authentic Medium-Jumbo
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Nut Width: 1.687"
- End of Board Width: 2.24"
- Inlays: Pearloid Dot
- Joint: Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit
- Finish: Chrome
- Tuner Plating: Nickel
- Tuning Machines: Kluson Reissue Double Ring
- Pickguard: 3-Ply White/Black/White
- Truss Rod: 2-way Adjustable
- Truss Rod Cover: White Gibson Hot-stamped
- Control Knobs: Black Top Hats with Silver Inserts
- Switch Tip: Cream
- Strap Buttons: Aluminum
- Pickup Covers: Chrome
- Neck Pickup: Custombucker Alnico III
- Bridge Pickup: Custombucker Alnico III
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 1 500K CTS Tone Pot Hand-Wired Harness
- Pickup Selector: 3-Way Switchcraft
- Output Jack: Switchcraft
- Strings: 10-46
- Case: Custom Shop Hardshell
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity