Roland are responsible for some of the most iconic drum machines and production gear of all time. With the MC-101, they’ve demonstrated their groovebox prowess, combining classic Roland sound with cutting-edge functionality. Equal parts drum machine, synthesizer, sampler, sequencer and controller, this is a production powerhouse that’s armed to the teeth – it even runs off AA batteries!
Just like the classic 707, 808 and 909 drum machines, the MC-101 is designed with quick, punchy groove-making in mind, but with a pocket-sized portable form factor. You’ve got 4 assignable tracks at your disposal, with 16 ultra-sensitive pads for playing or sequencing drums, basslines or chord progressions.
Add a wealth of onboard sounds, easy sequencing and sampling tools, and 5-hour AA battery power, and you’ve got the ability to create a professional-sounding track end-to-end.
Studio Quality Synths and Effects
The MC-101 comes equipped with a mixture of classic and state-of-the-art sounds with DAW-like flexibility, all in one place. And yes, it includes the Roland classics: TR-808, TR-909, TB-303, JUNO-106, and SH-101.
You can take these incredible sounds a step further with the MC-101’s built-in effects. All 4 tracks have independent effects processors with a huge number of variations. From lush modulation to mind-bending ambience, amp simulation to wild distortion. Add the final touch with master effects like filters, bit-crushers and bus compression for polished punchiness.
Intuitive Controls and Connectivity
Those familiar with Roland’s line-up may recognise the control panel as being similar to their Aira series but in a pocket-sized design. Vibrant backlit pads, intuitive faders, an easily-navigable button layout. The addition of a handy screen makes tracking and composing easier than ever.
MIDI in/out, stereo output and a headphone connector allows you to easily integrate the MC-101 into your existing rig. Whether you want it as a DAW controller or a fully-fledged centerpiece, it can hack it. You can connect it via USB and use as an interface; all 4 tracks can be individually recorded into your DAW.
- Sound Engine: ZEN-Core (Tone, Drum Kit)
- Maximum Polyphony: ZEN-Core: 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load), Looper: 4 (varies according to the available number of Looper track)
- Tracks: 4 tracks
- Clips: 64 clips (16 clips per track)
- Preset Tones: 3,000+
- Preset Drum Kits: 80+
- User Sample (as a Tone or Drum Kit): available by importing form SD CARD
- Looper Sample (as a clip of Looper track): available by importing from SD CARD, recording via EXT IN/Tracks
- Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
- Available format of User Sample: WAV 32--96 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit (mono, stereo)
- Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
- Available format of Looper Sample: WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit float (mono, stereo)
- Track Multi-Effects: 90 types
- Chorus/Delay: 9 types
- Reverb: 7 types
- Master Effects: 90 types
- Master Compressor
- Master EQ
- Step Sequencer Maximum Steps: 128 steps
- Looper: Time Stretch, Pitch Shift
- Display: 16 characters, 2 lines LCD (with backlit)
- External Storage: SD Card (SDHC supported) for saving Project Data and Audio Data
- Phones jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- Mix out (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
- USB port: USB B type (Audio, MIDI)
- Power: USB Bus powered
- Battery Power: Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4 / Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4
Dimensions & weight
- 224(W) x 132(D) x 61(H) mm
- 8-13/16 (W) x 5-3/16 (D) x 2-7/16 (H) inches
- Weight: 716 g / 1 lb 9 oz
- Owner's manual
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
- SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)