This version of Pro tools offers teachers and students in full time education the full pro tools experience at a discounted price. Full details of academic eligibility for students are found here, so please check you can prove your academic situation before you buy, as you may not be able to activate without it.
Pro Tools has made a complete overhaul to how you buy your Pro tools software. Featuring a new model with monthly and annual subscriptions or a perpetual licence, all sofware updates will be available as and when they are ready rather than piling up for a big Pro tools "x" release. As a result you will now always be up to date with the latest tools and workflow enhancements to help you make music creatively.
The Perpetual Licence
The Perpetual licence offers customers a one-off fee to own a version of pro tools licence forever. With this licence you will get 1 year of upgrades and support. After this first year you can decide to keep these updates and support going for a recurring annual fee, or you can keep your current version of the software. This is the cheapest way of owning Pro Tools, but bear in mind that you need to keep this going and once that annual upgrade date has been passed, you will then need to buy a new copy of pro tools to get the new updates. For example, you can't skip a year of updates and then pay the 2nd year to get all the updates you missed
Here's what Avid say about Pro Tools
Pro Tools redefined the music, film, and TV industry, providing everything you need to compose, record, edit, and mix music and audio. Create without bounds and work at the speed of your creativity, so you can take on the most demanding sessions and deliver the best sounding mixes possible.
And now Pro Tools 12 sets the stage for Avid Cloud Collaboration, the upcoming Avid Marketplace, and flexible licensing options, so you can access the industry standard in more affordable ways than ever. Create with a low-cost subscription. Own the software or a complete system outright. Or get started with Pro Tools | First, a free version of Pro Tools. The choice is yours.
Get easier access than ever
Subscribe, own, or use a free version of Pro Tools—the choice is yours.
Collaborate in the cloud
Get ready to work with other artists and producers, anywhere in the world. Learn more.
Get your work heard
Share and sell your music and audio in the Marketplace, opening soon.
Get credit, get paid
Coming soon, keep track of all contributors in a session with integrated metadata.
Add new sounds—anytime
Conveniently buy VIs, plug-ins, and more from the updated in-app Marketplace.
Stay current, stay ahead
Have the latest features at your fingertips with future upgrades included.
Recent Pro Tools updates
- 12.5: Avid Cloud Collaboration for Pro Tools and cloud services
- 12.4: Track Freeze workflows
- 12.3: Track Commit and Track Bounce workflows, Clip Transparency, batch fade enhancements and shortcuts, Audiosuite Pitch Shift Legacy
- 12.2: VCA Masters, Disk Cache, advanced metering, gain reduction metering, and new All Access plans, including bonus plug-ins (see sidebar)
- 12.1: Increased track count (128 audio, 512 instrument), track input monitoring, AFL/PFL Solo Modes, Copy to Send, Pro Tools | Control support, support for Pro Tools | S3 VCA Spill
- 12.0: Improved I/O setup and monitoring/auto down-mixing, unlimited busses, in-app plug-in purchases and rentals, stability improvements