Blackstar labels its Dept. 10 stompboxes as "the world’s most advanced valve pedals", by combining traditional high-voltage design with their latest technology. A bold claim indeed, but when you hear one of these in action — it's hard to disagree! All equipped with an ECC83 (12AX7) preamp tube, these incredible units deliver the organic dynamics, tone and break-up of a real valve amp from a compact chassis that integrates easily into any setup.
Dual Drive — Flexible, High-Octane Gain!
The Dual Drive is capable of covering all of your overdrive and distortion needs. But it's not just a versatile gain pedal, it's also a world-class valve recording preamp that can act as the tonal centrepiece for your pedalboard! With 2 footswitchable channels and 3 crunch/overdrive voices alongside a crystal-clear clean mode, there's also Blackstar's patented ISF tone-shaping control, a 3-band EQ, low-latency USB & XLR outputs and Dept. 10’s proprietary 'Cab Rig' simulator technology. It does a lot!
- Driven by an ECC83 triode valve running at more than 200V internally; allowing the pedal to provide organic tone, huge dynamics and exquisite break-up.
- Versatile 2-channel design, with 2 voices per channel. Channel 1: Clean & Crunch 1, Channel 2: Crunch 2 & Overdrive.
- Blackstar's patented ISF control allows you to shape the overall tone for a more British or American character, working in conjunction with the 3-band EQ.
- Effects loop for easy integration with your existing pedalboard rig. Perfect for routing your time-based and modulation stompboxes through.
- Equipped with Blackstar's 'Cab Rig' technology, their next-generation DSP speaker simulator that reproduces the sound and feel of a mic’d guitar cab in incredible detail. Deep-dive using the accompanying free 'Architect' software and capture the tones via the USB/XLR outputs or headphones.
- Pro connectivity and integration into your setup using low-latency USB audio as a valve interface for recording, and XLR D.I. for live use.
- Compact design, running at 9V for compatibility with most pedal power supplies with a 500mA output. Dedicated PSU is included with the pedal for standalone use.
How Can I Use the Blackstar Dept. 10 Dual Drive Pedal?
The Blackstar Dept. 10 Dual Drive pedal is incredibly flexible and can be used in a variety of ways:
- Valve overdrive or boost pedal into your amp's front-end.
- Valve preamp, used in your amp's effect loop to give it a totally new voice.
- Valve recording interface via low-latency USB.
- Valve preamp stage to warm up an anaemic-sounding digital amp.
- Backup amp via D.I. output using 'Cab Rig' into a PA system.
What is Blackstar's Dept. 10?
Dept. 10 is the Blackstar R&D team responsible for "blue sky" innovation and design. This team of engineers are all musicians and are constantly researching new ideas to help create the perfect guitar tones!
- Valve: ECC83 (12AX7)
- Channels: 2
- Voices: Clean, Crunch 1, Crunch 2, Overdrive
- EQ: Bass, Middle, Treble
- Patented ISF: Yes
- Cab Rig DSP: Yes
- XLR Cab Rig Output: Yes
- USB Audio Interface: Yes
- Effects Loop: Yes
- Footswitches: 2
- Voltage: 9V
- Current Draw: 500mA