While Zoom have been making incredible portable audio recorders for years and even some great video recorders as well. The Q8 takes everything they have done in the portable market in the last few years and puts them all into a single device. With interchangeable microphone capsules and the ability to record up to 2304 x 1296 pixels at 30fps this is a device for those who don't want to compromise.
Nothing Left Off
While some devices have features cut back to keep the price or size and weight down. The Q8 has had nothing stripped back as it contains all of the latest technology that Zoom could get their hands on. With a powerful 4 channel audio recorder and better than 1080p camcorder all in one device no matter the situation you know this will shine.
So while a lot of these camera / recorder combos you may see have either a great camera or great audio this has both. The camera has an f2.0 16.6mm lens that covers an incredible 160 degrees. That means you will have no problem fitting an entire stage of musicians into the frame of this camera even from the front row. It also makes it a perfect stage camera with its hard wearing chassis and low aperture for wonderful blown out backgrounds.
So not only does this camera already come loaded with a fantastic X/Y stereo small diaphragm condenser microphone capsule but you also have two more XLR inputs with phantom power on the rear of the camera. With this set up you can record all four tracks at once capturing a room sound as well as two close mics. That is not where it ends however. See if the X/Y Capsule is not really what you are looking for you can replace it at any time with any of a wide range of optional capsules produced by Zoom.
The Perfect All In One Solution
One thing that really amazes me with this set up is that it is able to handle all of these features while still being not much bigger than a standard camcorder. If you are a musician or video producer and want a single device to carry around for all of your recording needs well this is one of the best choices you can possibly make.
Here's what Zoom say about the Q8 Video Recorder
The Q8 marries high-definition video with high-resolution audio, making it the perfect camera for music and video creators everywhere. Its 160 degree wide-angle lens and digital zoom ensure that you'll always capture the complete picture. Combine that with ZOOM's groundbreaking interchangeable mic capsule system and two XLR-TRS combo inputs, and you have a world of audio options.
Complete compatibility for total versatility.
The Q8 comes with its own specially designed detachable X/Y microphone, yet it's compatible with many Zoom microphone capsules. If you already use an H5 or H6, you can swap their capsules with the Q8 too. (* EXH-6 TRS/XLR Combo Capsule is not compatible with the Q8.)
The Total Package
Easy to use and full-featured.
The Q8 offers a large full-color LCD touchscreen for ease of use, along with a wealth of advanced features. Dual combo XLR/TRS inputs allow the connection of external microphones and line-level sources, and a built-in speaker and stereo Headphone/Line Out jack provide audio monitoring; there's even an HDMI output for video monitoring.
Its high-quality 160-degree wide-angle lens and flexible mounting options mean that you can shoot high-def video anywhere you go. Plus, there's a USB output that allows the Q8 to be interconnected with your computer so you can use it with your favorite streaming or editing software.
Your Go-To Tool
Whatever you create, wherever your imagination takes you.
Whether you're a musician, indie filmmaker, podcaster, blogger, teacher, or video pro, you'll find the Q8 to be the perfect creative companion.
The Evolution Continues
The Q8 offers a slew of innovative features that make it incredibly versatile.
Full range, crystal clarity.
The Q8 delivers that same great Zoom sound quality you'll find in all of our products, with support for high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio. It comes with a high-quality detachable X/Y microphone or you can connect different Zoom mic capsule.
A low-cut filter and foam windscreen allow you to eliminate low-frequency noise and rumble, and there are three Dynamics settings, as well as a built-in compressor and limiter. Audio can be recorded along with video, or the Q8 can be used as a standalone stereo or four-channel audio-only recorder.
Go beyond High Definition.
The Q8 goes beyond standard HD, offering 3M HD (2304 x 1296 pixels @ 30fps /24mbps) as well as two kinds of HD (24mbps and 16mbps for increased storage capability) at frame rates of up to 60 fps at 720p for capturing fast action video.
Its F2.0 aperture / 160 wide-angle lens ensures that you'll capture every moment with full realism and sharp definition. Three "Scene" presets allow you to use the Q8 in a variety of different lighting conditions. And support for both standard and HD video file formats assures that you'll have plenty of options when it comes to storage and streaming.
Change your point of view.
Need a different POV- The Q8's got you covered. Not only can it be attached to any standard tripod, it comes with a tripod-to-three-prong converter, so you can use it with every kind of action camera mount, too.
Take your Q8 onstage and mount it to your mic stand, amp, or drum kit. Shoot video from front row center and use the supplied stereo X/Y microphone to capture the audience experience. Or use the Q8 at the mixing position and record the feed from the board, as well as the sound of the room. Use multiple Q8s for a dramatic mix of different angles - the full-color touchscreen LCD is fully rotatable so you can always view your image regardless of camera positioning.
USB, BATTERY LIFE, AND FILE TYPES
Connectivity, power to spare, and selectable file formats.
A built-in USB port enables live streaming and allows the Q8 to be used as a webcam or USB microphone. It also allows connection with other equipment and computer software - even an iPad* - for post-production capability.
* Apple Camera Connection Kit required.
The supplied lithium-ion battery that powers the Q8 can be recharged easily in the studio or in the field, using either an optional AC adapter or via USB. Battery life is more than two hours when shooting at 720p/30fps. In audio recording-only mode, battery life is extended further still.
The Q8 records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB. Video is stored in MOV file format, with various HD settings for maximum video quality, or you can shoot in standard definition (SVGA) when space or streaming bandwidth is at a premium.
Recorded audio can be integrated directly into the MOV file, or audio can be saved separately from the video data.
- Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB
- High-quality 160 degrees wide angle lens with selectable viewing angles (F 2.0/16.6mm)
- Uses a system of interchangeable audio input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Supplied detachable stereo X/Y microphone (XYQ-8)
- Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules (sold separately)
- Full-color rotating LCD touchscreen
- Support for five HD video modes, up to 2304 x 1296 pixels (3M HD), as well as two WVGA modes
- Frame rates of up to 60 fps for capturing fast action video and slow motion playback
- Three imaging sense options (AUTO/CONCERT/NIGHT) for use in all lighting environments
- Self timer
- Digital zoom
- Records video in MOV format (with or without audio)
- Records audio in AAC and WAV formats, up to 24-bit/96k
- Up to four tracks of simultaneous audio recording
- Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
- Analog-style gain controls for each input
- Built-in audio mixer
- Stereo link function
- Built-in compressor, limiter, and leveler
- MS Matrix function converts Mid-Side signal from external mics to standard stereo
- Supplied foam windscreen and low-cut filter for the elimination of low-frequency noise and rumble
- Dedicated Headphone output / Line out
- Built-in speaker for fast monitoring
- HDMI video output for connection to HDTVs, selectable between NTSC and PAL
- USB interface for live streaming and data transfer to and from computer editing software
- Webcam and USB mic function for use with external devices such as computers and iPads (Apple Camera Connection Kit required)
- Direct monitoring for zero latency during use as a USB mic
- Compatible with USTREAM Producer, Flash live Media Encorder, Skype, and other popular streaming applications
- SD card reader function
- Rechargeable Li-Ion battery (chargeable via USB or optional AC adapter)
- Battery life of more than 2 hours
- Standard tripod mount
- Includes tripod-to-three-prong converter for compatibility with all action camera mounts