Behringer are back with one of their biggest, most anticipated launches of 2021: the RD-9 Rhythm Designer. This analog drum machine (inspired by the now legendary TR-909) brings together a powerful 64-step sequencer, 10 unique drum voices, an integrated wave designer, dual-mode filter, Authentic/Enhanced modes, and more to create the ultimate beat-making machine.
With custom made components and a classic old-school sound - from crisp hi-hats, to booming bass drums - experience iconic sonics of yesteryear, now with a host of modern refinements, connectivity options, and other intriguing additions.
- Design and sound inspired by the legendary TR-909 drum machine.
- 64-step sequencer - store 16 songs and up to 64 unique patterns.
- Hands-on workflow (58 buttons, 33 knobs).
- Choose from Authentic mode (tones mirroring the original) and Enhanced mode (introducing 3 new controls that were not on the original).
- Variable swing - create beats with a more human touch.
- Easily record and craft song structures in pattern launch mode, then swap to manual mode with just one button press.
- Effortlessly cue up your next track - all without interrupting playback.
- Live step-overdubbing, real-time triggering, note repeat and step repeat.
- 10 drum voices - each with dedicated level, tuning, decay and attack controls.
- Drum voices include bass drum, snare drum, low tom, mid tom, hi tom, rimshot, clap, hi-hat, and crash/ride cymbals.
- Autofill feature ensures more varied and realistic drum patterns.
- Built-in wave designer (with sustain and attack controls) adds even more dynamism to your beats.
- Dual-mode filter button - switch between high pass and low pass filters, and experiment with resonance and cutoff frequency controls.
- Tweak sweeps and more via the step editor.
- Separate chain preferences per parameter - selecting whether they turn on when the pattern/song changes, or operate globally. Each parameter can be altered mid-use.
- Parameters range from flam, swing, tempo and probability, to FX bus assignments, sweeps, filter modes and dedicated track solos/mutes.
- Versatile output/input connections (mono audio, phones, MIDI in/out/thru via USB, 5-pin MIDI ports, 11 analog outputs - used for capturing multitrack audio and external processing).
- Take control over external hardware and synths using the 3 trigger outs.
- Receive and send clock information to effortlessly sync the RD-9 with other gear.
- USB connectivity for MIDI/sync triggering; you can even control the RD-9 using your DAW!
Sequence; Tweak; Perform
A 64-step sequencer forms the backbone of the RD-9. It's capable of storing up to 16 songs and 64 patterns, providing plenty of scope for your percussion productions. Within each sequencer mode, you'll then have access to note repeat, step repeat, live step-overdubbing and real-time triggering, which are all incredibly useful during live scenarios.
Every one of the 10 unique drum sounds - encompassing a snare, kick, cymbals and more - includes a set of dedicated level, tuning, decay, and attack controls. Use these to alter the nuances of every sound to suit your personal preferences. These can all be tweaked mid-song too, resulting in constantly evolving patterns.
Craft More Interesting Sounds
The workflow and approach of the RD-9 allows for even more developed and dynamic beats. A built-in wave designer (boasting sustain and attack controls) can be added to separate drum parts, while the dual-mode filter button quickly switches between high and low pass filters. This encourages experimentation with both resonance and cutoff frequency.
Further variation can be applied by outlining individual chain preferences for every single parameter (which can operate either when the pattern changes, or function globally). And that's not to mention the variable swing and autofill feature - leading to drums with a far more natural, varied feel.
Make the RD-9 the beating heart of your setup thanks to its range of versatile output and input connections. Utilise USB connectivity for MIDI and sync triggering, or use it to take full control of your RD-9 via your DAW!
That's not all though; use the 3 trigger outs and harness the power of your external hardware and synths - crafting entire songs and sets as part of an exciting DAW-less setup. This is ideal if you prefer a more tangible, hands-on approach to making music live and in the studio.