The Original Arp Odyssey was first released in 1972 as one of the pioneering compact synths and has now gained legendary status as a Classic synth used by a range of artists including Gary Numan, Elton John, Herbie Hancock and even the iconic theme tune to Doctor Who! 40 years later, Korg have teamed up with Arp's Co-founder and original designer of the Odyssey, David Friend for a revival; creating a new version of the Arp Odyssey that is not only completely faithful to the tone of the original, but benefits from modern day design and electronics to make it the best it can be.
The Arp Odyssey Module is a keyboard-less Odyssey with the very same analog synthesis circuitry that completely reproduces the original. This desktop version fits perfectly in today's DAW-centric music production environments, or if you want the ultimate players experience, you can hook it up to your favourite keyboard with the key response and feel that you like.
The Arp Odyssey Module lineup includes two models, the white Rev1 and the black and orange Rev3, reproducing traditional styling in a cutting-edge tabletop body. The real ARP sound that transcends history is once again available to the world.
Here's what Korg say about the Arp Odyssey Module
An ARP ODYSSEY module that emanates synthesis power from your tabletop
The ARP ODYSSEY Module is a tabletop analog synth module based on KORG's revived ARP ODYSSEY. In its compact, keyboard-less body, it contains the exact same circuitry as the original, making it even easier for you to obtain that rich analog sound that only a genuine ARP ODYSSEY can produce.
By adding the ARP ODYSSEY Module to their setup, DAW users can enhance their production environment with powerful analog sound that cannot be obtained from any plugin. You can also perform in conjunction with a sequencer such as the KORG SQ-1. If you're a player with a keyboard that you prefer, you can connect the ARP ODYSSEY Module via MIDI to your favorite keyboard and play it to your heart's content. In addition, the ARP ODYSSEY Module newly supports MIDI pitch bend.
True analog sound generated by a complete replication of the original ARP Odyssey's circuitry
The ARP Odyssey is known best for its sharp and biting tone, and the rich possibilities of modulation that allow an incredible variety of sounds. The ARP ODYSSEY Module is equipped with the very same circuitry as the ARP ODYSSEY, which itself is a perfect replica of the original unit, developed under the supervision of the ARP Instruments company's co-founder David Friend. Its module-type design invites the user into an even deeper world of sound design.
Lineup includes the historical Rev1 and Rev3 designs
The ARP ODYSSEY Module lineup includes the best-known Rev3 design with its characteristic black panel and orange silk-screening, as well as the white-paneled Rev1 design that marks this instrument's historic beginning. The unique shape of the slider grips, their smooth operating feel, and the layout of the switches all perfectly reproduce the layout of the original despite the compact module design.
The body, on the other hand, has been redesigned for its new life in module form, featuring a sturdy steel chassis befitting the weighty sounds produced by this instrument throughout its forty-year history.
- 2VCO. The duophonic design allows two different pitches to sound when you play two notes.
- The high degree of pitch stability for which the ARP Odyssey was remarkable in its time has been perfectly reproduced.
- Pitch is variable over a wide range of 20 Hz--2 kHz.
- Pitch modulation and pulse width modulation can be controlled.
- Oscillator sync provides sharp, great-sounding overtones extending into a high range.
- Noise generator provides two noise types: white and pink.
- Powerful LFO can be used as a modulation source for the oscillator or filter, or as a trigger source for sample & hold.
- The distinctive S/H MIXER lets you easily create sample & hold sounds by using the oscillator or noise generator as a source that's triggered by the LFO or keyboard.
- Ring modulator generates metallic sounds with rich overtones.
- The three types of low-pass filter found on different production runs of the original ARP Odyssey are all provided. With a single switch you can select any one of these filters with their differing characteristics: TYPE I (Rev1) is a 12 dB/octave filter with a sharp and punchy sound, TYPE II (Rev2) is a 24 dB/octave filter that's great for thick low sounds, and TYPE III (Rev3) features excellent stability even when the resonance is increased.
- A wide variety of modulation sources such as S/H, LFO, ADSR, and AR can be used to modulate the filter.
- A high-pass filter is provided following the low-pass filter, giving you even broader sound design possibilities.
- A new function, the DRIVE switch generates extreme and aggressive sounds.
- VCA GAIN slider leaves the note sustaining. Ideal for sound design.
- Envelope generator with two types: ADSR and AR. This can be used not only for the VCA but also to modulate the filter or oscillator.
- The original PPC (Proportional Pitch Control) based on a rubber pad has been reproduced. Press the rubber pad with your finger to control pitch bend or vibrato depth in proportion to the pressure.
- A portamento slider and transpose switch are provided. You can also use a switch to select either of the ways in which Rev1 and Rev2/3 of the original ARP Odyssey differ as to whether portamento is applied the moment that you operate the transpose lever.
- Two types of audio output jack are provided: 1/4" phone and XLR.
- External audio input jack is provided, allowing you to process sound from an external device.
- Headphone jack with adjustable volume is provided. By connecting the headphone jack to the external audio input jack, you can apply self-feedback to generate powerful sounds.
- CV, GATE, and TRIG jacks are provided, letting you send or receive analog signals to operate the instrument. If you connect the GATE OUT jack to the TRIG IN jack, the EG will not be triggered, allowing you to play legato.
- Both 1/4" size and mini-size patch cables are included.
- MIDI IN connector and USB MIDI port are provided, allowing connection to a PC or MIDI device.