Vintage-style modular and Eurorack synths are coming back in a big way. Contemporary music trends have seen more and more musicians turn to the analog-inspired sounds of old, and manufacturers have responded in kind.
Roland are at the forefront of this trend, producing faithful reissues of some of their most popular releases in recent years and satisfying our renewed love for classic-sounding synth technology.
For 2018, they've decided to keep up the momentum with additions to their System-500 series. These compact modules are inspired by the legendary System-700 and System 100M series, aiming to provide never-ending modular synth fun in a handy, budget-friendly format!
The System-500 505
Inject the sound of the Roland SH-5’s revered filter section into your modular rig. The Roland SH-5 is one of the most sought after monosynths in history. Its dual architecture was deep and sounded massive. It also happened to have one of the most distinguished filters of any monosynth in history. Combining a multi-mode filter with a band-pass filter, it produced a sound that has propelled it to “favorite filter ever” territory for many. In stark contrast to the traditional Ladder filter design, the SH-5’s filter maintained its bass response with a meaty resonance growl. With the SYS-505, Roland and Malekko have brought this highly-coveted filter, in all its sonic glory, to the Eurorack format. With switchable outputs, built-in VCAs, and CV control of cutoff, resonance, this dual filter gives you two different vintage filter characters in a flexible and compact 16hp module.
- VCF SELECT switch (1, 2)
- FREQUENCY slider (1, 2)
- RESONANCE slider (1, 2)
- FILTER TYPE switch
- MODULATION IN FREQUENCY slider (1, 2)
- MODULATION IN RESONANCE slider (1, 2)
- MODULATION IN LEVEL slider (1, 2)
- SIGNAL IN jack (1, 2): Miniature phone type
- KEY IN jack (1, 2): Miniature phone type
- OUT jack (1, 2): Miniature phone type
- MODULATION IN FREQUENCY jack (1, 2): Miniature phone type
- MODULATION IN RESONANCE jack (1, 2): Miniature phone type
- MODULATION IN LEVEL jack (1, 2): Miniature phone type
- Power Supply: Eurorack power
- Current draw: 85 mA (+12 V), 90 mA (-12 V)
- Accessories: Owner's Manual, Eurorack installation screws (4 pcs), Eurorack power cable