Fender are marking the 70th anniversary of their first solid body production guitar with a very special entry into the range. The latest Esquire is a charming homage with specs harking back to that giant milestone of an electric guitar. Fender pickup guru Tim Shaw even created a single coil bridge pickup to capture the true essence of the original.
The 70th anniversary is made using a beautiful roasted pine body with historical accuracy, and the design carries on in the same vein. The nitro finish allows it to age like a genuine vintage guitar, depending on where you play on the fretboard and the wear and tear the body takes.
Bolted on is a maple "U" shape neck satisfyingly filling out the hand, akin to the prototype '50s Broadcaster. On top, the maple fretboard contains 21 vintage tall frets to round out the classic playing experience. Hardware on the Esquire is as close to the original as possible, with a three-saddle bridge and bone nut keeping the guitar rock solid throughout years of playing.
Tim Shaw is a renowned vintage pickup designer and a mainstay for Fender. When they need the very best in sound, they go to him. His work can be found in Fender's top of the line American Ultra range, so you know you're getting the very best in the tone department. The Esquire's only single coil bridge pickup delivers a classic glassy chime that put Fender on the map.
You might be wondering why there's a three-way switch when the Esquire contains just one pickup. It allows you to either engage or disengage the tone control, as well as having the flexibility to roll off the tone and retain top-end sparkle, which is otherwise lost in so many guitars.
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Material: Roasted Pine
- Body Shape: Telecaster
- Colour: White Blonde
- Fingerboard Material: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
- Fret Size: Vintage Tall
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Shape: '50 Broadcaster "U"
- Number of Frets: 21
- Nut Material: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Bridge Pickup: Tim Shaw Designed Esquire Bridge Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge (Tone control off), Position 2. Bridge (Tone control on), Position 3. Bridge (Tone control off, pre-set treble roll-off)
- Bridge: 3-Saddle American Vintage Strings-Through-Body Tele with Solid Barrel Steel Saddles
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Control Knobs: Knurled Dome
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black Phenolic
- Case/Gig Bag: Deluxe Hardshell
- Strings: Fender® USA 250L Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)