Ritchie Blackmore is a rock 'n' roll trailblazer. His virtuosic playing style and electrifying guitar tones have influenced generations of players, with many adoring fans fastidious about capturing his signature sound. That's why Catalinbread has recreated the tools that inspired Blackmore with its Dreamcoat preamp and Skewer treble booster pedals — designed to closely emulate the unique gear that Blackmore used to achieve his distinctive Deep Purple guitar tone.
Both featuring incredible artwork, the two stompboxes can be operated individually but really come to life when used together — culminating in a classic sound for the modern era!
Skewer Treble Booster
The Skewer is based on the Hornby-Skewes Treble Booster — an iconic piece of Blackmore gear. Boasting a silicon transistor for a biting sound that can cut through even the densest of mixes, Catalinbread's Skewer pedal stays true to that original circuit and plays nicely with the Dreamcoat; letting you dial in the desired frequency range from rich and full to treble-heavy, as well as control the amount of boost.
- SKEW: Adjusts the frequency response of the boost, which also slightly affects the gain. When dialled fully counter-clockwise, you get full range and max gain. When set fully clockwise, you match the stock setting of the original Hornby-Skewes Treble Booster.
- BOOST: Affects the amount of boost. The standard Hornby-Skewes setting is about 2/3 up.
- EXTRA: Controls the level of gain extracted from the transistor. Crank this setting to get seriously rowdy!
- INTERNAL TRIMMER: A master volume knob, which was included based on a rumour that Blackmore had his TB modded to make it sound better with his amp. Default is all the way up, but Blackmore allegedly liked it at about 80&.
- Current draw: 1mA
- Input impedance: 100k
- Output impedance: 8k
- Dimensions: 4.33” x 2.36” x 1.93”
- Weight: 0.46 lbs