Joining Victory's popular V4 pedal preamp range is 'The Duchess', based on the cream-liveried amp head of the same name. Essentially a full-fledged guitar amplifier in a super-compact, pedalboard-friendly enclosure; the Victory V4 Duchess partners an all-valve preamp with a solid-state, 180-watt Class D power amp that can be connected straight to a cabinet.
A fantastic option for home and studio players looking for an elegant solution on a small cab or desktop, the Victory V4 Duchess is also ideal for touring musicians who seek a great-sounding, dependable pedal platform amp that can be plugged into practically any backline cab.
Desirable Duchess Tones
As its name indicates, this particular V4 pedal is heavily derived from Victory's best-selling 'The Duchess' amp. Offering lush boutique clean tones that can stretch to warm and dynamic crunch with the volume cranked, the Victory V4 Duchess amp pedal also comes equipped with built-in reverb and a tremolo section that can offer anything from a slow pulsating modulated sound to a fast staccato-like effect!
Perfect Pedal Platform
Although exceptional as a standalone unit, the Victory V4 Duchess really comes into its own as a pedal platform amp. Able to react beautifully to boost, overdrive and distortion pedals that can push its preamp stage into high-gain saturation, the V4 Duchess also boasts an effects loop that lets you run your time-based effects between its preamp and power sections for maximum ambient clarity.
Flexible 3-Band EQ
Just like you'd find on a full-sized Victory amp's control panel, the V4 Duchess guitar amp pedal sports bass, middle and treble controls for precise tone control. These also have an effect on the gain character and drive levels - just like you'd expect from any valve amplifier!
Balanced Line Out
Although the Victory V4 Duchess boasts a speaker output for pairing the unit with a cabinet, the pedal also features a balanced line out. With this useful output, you can send a direct feed to a separate cab simulator, front-of-house PA system or audio interface for recording. It's worth mentioning that this can be used with or without a speaker connected, so don't worry about damaging the unit when using the balanced output!
9V DC Power Output
Want to power some extra pedals and stick this on your board? Victory has included a 9V DC centre-negative output that will put out a maximum of 500mA. This is more than enough for the vast majority of drives, fuzzes and analogue delays, meaning that the V4 Duchess doubles as a pedalboard power supply!
Quotes from 10/10 'Guitarist' Magazine Review
- "The Duchess offers exceptional clarity and is almost brutally loud, easily capable of overpowering most drummers."
- "The Duchess’s onboard effects are superb, too. The digital reverb sits on the border between warm and bright, while the tremolo adds plenty of vintage atmosphere, giving The Duchess a seductive contemporary Twin Reverb-inspired vibe."
- "Compact is as cool as ever, and Victory does compact better than most other manufacturers. There may be some solid-state heads that offer more functionality perhaps, but the V4 Duchess’s big temptation is its unique preamp design, powered by four of the best valves ever made in the UK."
- "Aimed at professional players and serious amateurs looking for a lightweight solution that doesn’t compromise on tone or quality, it’s hard to believe that The Duchess packs as much power as two Twin Reverbs into a box the size and weight of a large paperback."
- Preamp valves: 1 x EC900, 3 x CV4014
- Power output: 180W @ 4 ohms (approx 90W @ 8 ohms, 45W @ 16 ohms)
- Power requirements: Mains IEC
- V4 pedals run on a switch mode power supply and ship with the relevant adaptors for each territory
- Size: 225mm(w) x 175mm(h) x 100mm(d) including feet & knobs
- Weight: 1.7kg (3.75lbs)
- Steel chassis
- Remote switching for trem
- Series FX loop
- Balanced DI out on TRS 6.3mm jack
- Additional 9V DC power outlet for pedals etc (maximum total current 500mA, centre-negative)