Book a video appointment
Buying a premium guitar at the moment is a tricky experience. However, fear not! Our new Guitar Gallery specialists (Paul, and Paul), are on-hand to help talk you through your purchase, make recommendations and give you the confidence to make the right decision.
With over 30 combined years of boutique and rare guitar sales between them, the Pauls really know their stuff and can help you choose, or track down that special piece you’re looking for.
Click here to book your video appointment now.
StingRay basses have been at the forefront since their introduction to the bass world in 1976. The Music Man StingRay continues the brands tradition of producing exceptional quality bass guitars, built to withstand the rigours of touring whilst preserving the professional playing quality desired by many players the world over.
This model features the same road ready build and iconic look that came before, however it has been refined and updated to suit the discerning modern day bassist.
This bass has been meticulously refined to meet the continually evolving standard of current day bass players. The sculpted neck allows for easy access to each of the 22 frets on the roasted maple neck. The improved body contours have also been rounded further to create a comfortable playing experience – while not compromising on the iconic StingRay sound and tone. This re-design has in turn resulted in a far lighter bass than its predecessors.
All the hardware has been re-engineered too. Far lighter tuning machines result in more reliable tuning stability and a neck with better overall balance.
Neodymium pickups deliver more power, more output and a larger range of sounds. Neodymium is a powerful magnet that works beautifully in these pickup to give you a strong, clear output. The StingRay now has an 18v active 3-band EQ which gives it those powerfully clear and punchy tones. An 18v preamp provides you with ample amounts of clean headroom meaning you crank the volume without 'crushing' or distorting your bass sound.
Roasted Maple Neck
The Roasted Maple necks not only look great but feel great to play. What sets the roasted maple necks apart is the roasting process and how it affects the overall playability and strength of the wood. Roasted maple is created by removing the moisture from the neck. This in turn causes the resins in the wood to harden which not only gives the gorgeous dark colouration, but also provides increased stability and improved resistance to temperature and humidity changes.
Another improvement is this StingRay bass now has stainless steel frets which wear down far slower than any other fretwire.
- Model: StingRay 5 Special
- Body Wood: Select Hardwoods
- Body Finish: High gloss polyester
- Bridge: Vintage Music Man® top loaded chrome plated, steel bridge plate with vintage nickel plated steel saddles
- Pickguard: Black, White, Mint, or White Pearloid (dependent on body color)
- Scale Length: 34" (86.4 cm)
- Neck Radius: 11" (27.9 cm)
- Frets: 22 - High profile, wide, Stainless Steel
- Neck Width: 1-3/4" (44.5 mm) at nut 2-3/4"" (69.9 mm) at last fret
- Neck Wood: Select roasted maple neck
- Fingerboard: Fretted - Maple
- Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Neck Colors: Standard – Natural with finished headstock
- Tuning Machines: Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic clover design
- Truss Rod: Adjustable - no component or string removal
- Neck Attachment: 5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
- Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum lined pickguard
- Controls: 3-band active preamp with 18 volts of headroom; vol, treble, mid, bass
- Switching: Single Pickup - 3-way lever pickup selector
- Pickups: Standard - Single Humbucking with Neodymium magnets